DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contaflex

Lynn:

Thanks for the information.

The distance scale on my f4 115mm rotates 360 degrees also. It is only used for determining depth of field, not focus. At best, as you cannot transfer the focus ring distance reading, because it is calibrated for a 50mm lens.

Greetings

Gilbert

What do the rest of you think of this? I was reading an article about radioactivity in old lenses, namely before 1970. I have not heard anyone mention any of the zeiss / zeiss-ikon lenses, but I can't help but wonder and worry now that I've become interested in old glass and cameras. Please have a look at this: http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/radioactive.html Am I worrying needlessly about lenses for the Contaflex and old Contax rangefinders? A few old Leitz and Takumar lenses have proved to have issues. (I admit I panic easily at the mention of these sorts of topics) -Lynn

> [..I heard about this in the mid 70's and the answer at that time was that if it wasn't strong enough to affect very sensitive high speed film, it shouldn't be a problem for people.

Lynn,
I don't know what to say to that. I have looked at the site you mentioned. I'm not at all technical in such matters but it certainly does on the face of it look like a potential cause for concern well known to those in the know.
I would have thought in view of the millions of cameras and lenses which have been produced and used down the years that any risk must be very small and the people who do know about it are apparently still ardent photographers. Maybe the answer is to use cameras with waist level view finders...
John

Lynn

I am not a radiation expert, but I am sure that I have been exposed to more radiation under going medical and many chest x-ray than any amount I could receive from a lens. My belief is you could not get enough radiation to cause a problem even if you ate the lens. The term radioactive excites a lot of people unnecessarily so.

I understand your concern and I do not want to sound like or make lite of if, but I think you should enjoy your equipment free from concern of danger.

Gilbert

Thanks for the feedback. I admit I do worry too easily. That's why I thought I'd see what you thought. I guess I'll be happy I don't have the Takumar 50 or the Leitz 35 that they mention and not worry about the zeiss optics I have and want to collect yet. Thanks gentlemen. -Lynn

Lynn,
Don't worry - be happy!

I've had dozens of vintage lenses pass through my hands and I'm a lot older than you yet I still have my own teeth and hair.

you will probably get more radiation from your cell phone in one month than a Zeiss lens all your life.

Clive

Well Clive, since you haven't started to glow yet, I guess I'm safe then
happy.gif
I'm far behind you in collecting. Figured it was better to ask and I'm glad I did. Best, Lynn

I thought the main issue with radioactive glass elements was that they go yellow over time? That's certainly the case with the f/1.2 Olympus std lens (either a 50 or 55mm can't remember for sure, but I looked at one a few months ago and it was distinctly yellow).

Just wanted to follow up on this thread about the Contaflex. If anyone does need a very thorough and conscientious repair person for a Contaflex, or any Zeiss-Ikon or Voigtlander model for that matter, I do heartily endorse Mr. Umbach. He has been so very helpful to me in repairing my little Contaflex Super (old style) and I am extremely grateful. He has gone above and beyond the call of duty in helping his customer (me!). After he returned my nifty clean and functioning Contaflex to me, I managed to do something stupid as a user and thought I had damage it. I sent it back - and he called me to inform me of my error - very politely! In fact, he's shipping it back to me tomorrow and asked me to call him when it arrives so that we can go over everything while I am holding the Super and he has one in his hands as we talk. He's such a very cordial and polite person - and he KNOWS his cameras. His prices were extremely reasonable and I couldn't imagine sending my gear to anyone else now that I've worked with him once. (Note this is classic gear, not modern Kyocera gear). (I wish people like him had apprentices for the future!) Hope this is of help to someone. If you need his contact info, just email me Lynn@turnkeydesign.net

Back