CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Seeking user experience with Zeiss 4080mm VarioSonnar

G

I'm interested in purchasing a used Zeiss 40-80mm Vario-Sonnar to replace my worn 50mm f1.4. I prefer this narrow range because I have a collection of Zeiss fixed-focal length lenses.

I would like to hear from any users of this lens to discuss its strengths/weakness (if any).

Thank you!

G

> I'm interested in purchasing a used Zeiss 40-80mm Vario-Sonnar to> replace my worn 50mm f1.4. I prefer this narrow range because I have a> collection of Zeiss fixed-focal length lenses.> I would like to hear from any users of this lens to discuss its> strengths/weakness (if any).

I personally dont have one , but it comes a fairly distant second to any of the more recent CZ zooms in terms of performance.......

G

> I used to have one, have since got rid of it. It has a nice build quality that you don't always find on the newer lenses, and is contrasty and sharp. However, apart from that I now recognise it underperforms compared to 28-85 expecially. There's a lot of pin-cushion distortion and also vignetting at some focal lengths, that can spoil the pictures. >