DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

What will hapen with my zeiss lenses

G

Hi, first of all I want to say that I am not a professional photographer, so maybe my questions might seem a bit obvious among all these contax experts.
happy.gif
) The fact is that I have a Contax RTSII camera that I bought some years ago and I have bought some zeiss lenses, a Planar 50 mm 1.4, Distagon 28mm 2.8 and a sonnar 2.8 135 lens with the time. I am happy with the contax quality and enjoy photography a lot. But I see that digital photography is gaining ground, and although nowadays I don´t feel like to change drastically to digital, I wonder what will happen with my equipment (specially my lenses) that I enjoy so much nowadays. There will be any possibility to adapt them to digital, or is it supposed that contax will work on a digital camera that could maintain the lenses that I use nowadays on my RTSII. Thansk a million. It is a pleasure to learn in this forum.

Hi Potro, the best thing to do is to buy a film scanner (such as a Nikon IV or 4000) and practice your skills with digital. This is cheaper than buying a top digital camera and the results probably of a higher standard. The best of both worlds and you get to keep some great gear! William

Do you guys think that film format will stay around for a long time? some are saying it is to disappear sooner than expected. What do you think? Ethan

> Do you guys think that film format will stay around for a long time? > some are saying it is to disappear sooner than expected. What do you> think? Ethan

Film will be around for some time to come yet , so I wouldnt worry too much - its possible we will see fewer types of film available , but their are just too many film cameras out there for it just to disappear for some time yet ........ In Europe film cameras still outsell digital by something like 4 or 5 to 1 - and that doesnt even include the millions of throw away film cameras every year! Clearly the two technologies will coexist for ages as they do already . Steve

What I'd like is for there to be an Aria D or for Sigma to make there SD-9 in Contax mount. They make lenses in other mounts, why not a camera?

Film-based still photography will be around for the rest of our lives, anyway. But it will likely become much more of a specialty market, with far fewer film, film processing and camera choices than today--the focus (sorry) shifting to the pro and advanced amateur markets.

I suspect that the point-and-shoot market will disappear for good. I can even envision "disposable" digital cameras selling for less than ten bucks.

Television didn't kill radio or cinema, just changed them. The same will be true of digital still photography, it will profoundly affect still film photography, but it won't kill it off. Niche cameras, such as panoramic and view cameras, will likely continue their modest resurgance, as they are probably the most elegant arguments for film's superiority.

At some point well into the future, I can envision a last stronghold of Leica M fanatics formulating their own home-brewed film to keep the hobby alive ;-)

If Kyocera-Contax were larger and richer, I'd think we'd see a digital body for our beloved manual focus lenses. But they're not, and we won't. Their R&D is all in the N and 645 line-ups now. A digital Aria or a digital G would be a wonderful thing, but I'm not holding my breath for either.

--Rick

If Kyocera-Contax were larger and richer, I'd think we'd see a digital body for our beloved manual focus lenses. But they're not, and we won't. Their R&D is all in the N and 645 line-ups now. A digital Aria or a digital G would be a wonderful thing, but I'm not holding my breath for either.

kyocera-yashica is very rich but also clever. they do not want to finance possible deficits produced in other departements like contax/yashica. thats why they cold afford developping such fantastic cameras like the yashica samurais(slr,24x36 and aps), contax rtsIII and ax. they were clever enough stopping the yashica af-cameras and develop other options we can now profit from(if we had enough money...). maybe some day they will think about offering a really alternative to the rx /rxII and s2/s2b.

Hi, William I think that your proposal is very interesting. The fact is that I like to have my photographs on paper rather than in my computer... Therefore what I see really interesting about digital is the fact that you can save a lot of money on films and select the photographs that you like to have on paper. I think that is fantastic. Therefore what I would expect from contax would be an Aria with the option of digital or any other camera that let me work on digital with my lenses... Would it be a dream? I think that it is possible already on a canon camera and the proper adapter, but only working in manual. Why can't contax do something similar that allows me using my lenses on a digital camera body. Thanks a lot for all the answers.

> [Contax/Kyocera would indeed be smart to work with top software developers (along the lines of Apple) to develop a digital manual focus SLR using these superb Contax MM lenses - a real win-win situation. I have migrated over from Oylmpus OM and so far love the resolution/contract/out of focus highlights. The Contax MM lenses are indeed special.

To try to compete head to head with Nikon/Canon in the autofocus arena is perhaps not a long term viable proposition playing to the true strength of the Contax MM system]

Hi,

When you think of how long it took minority film formats such as 127, Disk, 6x9 sheets, etc. to disappear from the market I don't personally think that committed film burners like myself need worry.

There are still huge hurdles to overcome with digital. It is only recently that we have been told of the shortcomings of the last generation (i.e. six months old) CCDs in colour rendition. You have only to view a digital image to see that the quality is still sadly lacking a film & scanned image.

There is also the questions of processing times, images file size and storage that require addressing.

My feeling is that film will stay for a long time yet and as long as photographers are dumping their film gear on eBay in order to fund their new digital equipment I shall continue to buy it.

Clive

Back