DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

19mm ElmartR

G

Anybody had any practical experience with or have knowledge about the 19mm Elmarit R.

craig

I have used this lens for motion picture photography. I work in the visual effects end of the film business and occasionally use the VistaVision format. (identical to 35mm still format but using a motion picture camera in which the film travels horizontally instead of the vertical orientation of typical half-frame motion picture photography) We view the resultant footage on a 30 ft wide projection screen using a VistaVision projector. When I first viewed images shot with the 19mm Elmarit I was literally stunned! It was head-and-shoulders the sharpest imagery I had ever seen. Nothing I had ever seen shot in VistaVision (before or since) has even come close. Most of the other VistaVision I've seen was shot with Nikon glass, but even that which was shot with other Leica focal lengths couldn't compare. To this day - that first viewing of the 19mm Elmarit footage stands out in my memory as a unique optical revelation.

Erik Nash

I have used this lens for motion picture photography. I work in the=20 visual effects end of the film business and occasionally use the=20 VistaVision format. (identical to 35mm still format but using a=20 motion picture camera in which the film travels horizontally instead=20 of the vertical orientation of typical half-frame motion picture=20 photography) We view the resultant footage on a 30 ft wide projection=20 screen using a VistaVision projector. When I first viewed images shot=20 with the 19mm Elmarit I was literally stunned! It was=20 head-and-shoulders the sharpest imagery I had ever seen. Nothing I=20 had ever seen shot in VistaVision (before or since) has even come=20 close. Most of the other VistaVision I've seen was shot with Nikon=20 glass, but even that which was shot with other Leica focal lengths=20 couldn't compare. To this day - that first viewing of the 19mm=20 Elmarit footage stands out in my memory as a unique optical=20 revelation.

Erik Nash

I agee completely. It is a stunning lens! i have taken great phots at a beach with rocks in the foreground but later decided to crop the image to just show the detail on the horizon. the definition is so fanstastic that when cropped it gives a beautiful vista with marvellous detail.

i am about to go on a big world trip and it is one of the three lenses I will carry. (with 35-70 F4 and 80-200 F4. David

Thanks all for the reponses. Wow what rap!

David is yours an older or newer version with built in filters. Are there are adavntages in use?

cheers

craig (Brisbane)

Craig,

Mine is the new one with the built-in filters but I don't use B&W film at the moment so they're not used.

Sorry i can't comment.

David

Erik;

I used a Leitz lens on an Bell & Howell aerial image optical printer for motion picture opticals. It was amazing how far superior it was to a similar offering from Nikon.

Vistavision is 8 perforation format if my memory serves correct. Did you have any edge to edge problems?

Mark Welch

The quality of build & optics are flawless, I have Canadian version, used it longer than 10 years, In my humble opinion, it is one of Leica's best lens.

Back