DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Yashica FX3 FX2 FX1

Heres a link to a few of the raw scans, no processing other than converting to jpg.
# 41 is a polaroid ss 4000 version of # 24 which as are all the others done on an LS 1000.
Bear with the grain, spots and all the other crud.
The files are large, but give a good idea of the lenses capability.
Internet Explorer may not be able to open them, better bet would be whatever photo editor you use if you decide to DL any of them.
www.wojosmojo.net/069
joe w

Sorry if this is off topic for FX's ..... but I suppose I started it with my shoe-box comment!

Have a look at

http://www.geocities.com/mikkonis/reviewed/sp300mm.html

Lets face it .... it's not a Zeiss, but the only time I used the Zeiss 300 f2.8, I was so s**t scared I'd drop it in front of the Contax Rep that I probably admit to not getting the best out of it.... even though the shots I took were very impressive (to me!)

The Tamron is a cracker too....and I’m not the least bit disappointed with it, in any way. I paid just over £400 for it S/H which is exceptionally low in the UK ... I think £600 is more common. That would buy me what fraction of the Zeiss? Even second-hand ... Assuming you could find one!

It is contrasty, sharp and performs well wide open. It's very well built, looks like it will last a lifetime and easy to use.... works well with my AX even though it shouldn't (in theory!)

The 1.4x it came with is upto the job and I have even used my 2x Teleplus Macro convertor with it (as a conventional 2x) and it still looks good.

The shots do not look out of place when projected along side my Zeiss shots to 6ft by 4ft. (Cynics will tell me to get a better projection lens or improve my skills! I'll politely ignore them!)

So the question boils down to ... should I have sold my car to buy a S/H Zeiss..... or ..... stump up the price of a camera body to get a Tamron ...... or ...... not buy, or have the pleasure of owning, either!

I chose the middle option and have not regretted it one little bit!

Cheers, Bob.

Paul... did you notice that the photo of the lens for sale appears to be identical to the photo in the review link I posted!

Do you think it is the same person who wrote the review that is selling the lens? Or could it just be someone else using the review photo? If it is the latter, I wonder why they did not use a photo of the actual lens for sale? Or could it be another reason altogether?

I personally would want to check which of the reasons it is, with the seller, before making a bid. AND, certainly before I parted with my money!

Even more cheers from scouseland! Bob.

Hmmmm!!

Strange or coincidence? I didn't notice that at all until I revisited you geocities link. I do notice on ebay that you will find the same picture on diferrent auctions. Maybe there are people who don't have a decent pic of their item and use one they find on the web. With the cheapness of digitals now, that should recede.

All the best Bob,

Paul

If it is the case that the picture was "borrowed", I think they should mention that the picture is not of the actual item for sale, and give credit to who ever they "borrowed" the image from! Better still, state that permission was sought and obtained!

Of course, there are other reasons too, for not being able to supply a picture of the actual item for sale!

One Astro chap spotted his own highly modified (customized) telescope for sale on Ebay. The seller did not even have the decency to write his own text but "borrowed" it from the owner's website. There could be no conclusion other than fraud for trying to sell the item as described due to the modified and unique nature of the scope.

Not that I am implying that there is anything improper in the Ebay item sale that you mentioned, just that one has to take care, especially in the case of "borrowed" pictures!

Cheers, Bob.

Long exposure times with FX-3 s.2000.
I made a following experience with FX-3. I quite often use a long ex. times- B- with Yashica. I repetedly found that if you exposure long enough (50 sec. and more), a light of the diod will appear on the film- so- photography then. If you press the shutter and hold it (or with wire release), you activate measuring diods (by pressing a release). If the shutter is open long enough its(diod's) light will become visible on the film (it lights red + diod so you will see a red shine on the side of the film). It looks like shortcoming of the producer, had two Yashica FX-3, both did it. It also happened once with very short exposition- 1/1000 or 1/2000 in the againstlight. I found a simple solution but I would like other users opinions or their experiences.
Regards, Pavel

I had the same experience with Cosina C1 body. Seems to be a common problem with cheep cameras. Using Cosina at B setting I just removed batteries to deactivate the metering system. This is not a solution for electronic shutters.

Happens with my Super 2000 too. Shows up after approx 4 seconds with 100iso on astro shots.

Luckily you don't need the meter for this work, so the battery can come out. The mirror up on triggering the self-timer still works with the battery out.

Cheers, Kyocera Kid

Back