DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Multispot metering

K

kumrad

I am considering buying an OM-4/4 Ti. Have read several things about the camera (mostly praise). However, being new to the OM system I do not understand what the multi-spot metering system is, actually? How does it work?

I would be greatful for any comments clearing up this issue for me.

The multi-spot metering allows for 8 readings. One ex&le if you were shooting a subject that was mostly white, all you do is make a spot reading and press the high light button and the camera will make a 2 stop increase in exposure. It also has an exposure lock button and shadow button etc. I would recommend that you download the manual from the Olympus website and read it before you purchase your camera.

Good Luck

Gilbert

The one thing that can be said for the OM3 and OM4 variations is that they have what is probably THE best metering system in any 35mm manual focus camera. The way the multi-spot system works is that each time you press the spot button you record a reading, up to eight readings, and when you press the shutter release, the camera averages the readings...It gives you what is, in effect, a built in Zone System. You can, of course, just use the spot meter to take a single reading, off a face, for instance. You can also lock the readings in with the Memo function. There are also two additional buttons, for highlights and shadows. If, for instances, you're shooting a scene at the beach, or in snow, you take your reading and then hit the highlight button -and it increases the exposure by two stops so that white is white, not 18% gray. If you're shooting something with deep shadows, or black in it, and what that to come out as black, push the shadow button, and it decreases exposure by two stops and black is read as black. It's pretty nifty.

B. D.

Thank you very much, Gilbert and B.D. for your help! This information has proved very useful. I have just downloaded the OM-4Ti manual.

Regards,

Marek

Dear Marek....
To have a good feel of the multi-spot system, shoot a test roll of slides. Use the multi-spot feature in your slides, that way when you view them, you can really discern how the multi-spot readings give weightage to the parts of the scene you spot-metered on.

Try for ex&le a contra-jour situation. Just to see the effect significantly.

Coupled with the F280 full sync flash, you will have a wonderful pic taking system.

I can't agree more when many OM users claim that Olympus has just about the best metering system. Up to 4 minutes on auto. Thats mind-boggling. and a very useful feature to have.

Rgds
TMLee

Question to OM-4 users: Do you agree that the center weighted averaging meter of the OM-4ti is somewhat less center-weighted than other cameras. Or have I become too used to the "intelligent" matrix metering of other cameras when I should have instead used multispot metering on my OM-4ti.

Christopher wrote:Question to OM-4 users: Do you agree that the center weighted averaging meter of the OM-4ti is somewhat less center-weighted than other cameras. Or have I become too used to the "intelligent" matrix metering of other cameras when I should have instead used multispot metering on my OM-4ti.>

Christopher:

I do not know the circumstances of your specific exposures, but multispot metering can solve problems and is perhaps the basis for matrix metering. Except that matrix metering also uses a database. In the case of some Nikon's the database has 30,000 exposures to compare the light readings and compensate accordingly.

As with any exposure reading you need to be aware that it will be based on approximately an 18% gray scale, therefore you may need to compensate your exposure for the light your reading.

Regards:

Gilbert

I think, off hand, that you have gotten too used to the matrix metering and have forgotten what center weighted metering is really like. The center weighted metering on the OM4 is fine, once you figure out its idiosyncrasies. But the spot metering is fabulous.

Back