CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Setting fvalue in 12 stops on Contax G2

G

With a Contax G2 I can set the f value only in full f-stops (2-2.8-4.0-5.6 etc.). The same for the shutterspeed. So, when taking pictures in the manual mode, I can set the exposure only in full stops! That's somewhat inaccurate for slides.

Is it possible to set the f-stop between the 'clics' of the full f-stops? I see the diaphragm move when changing the apeture just a half stop, but will it work correctly?

G

Sander,
I just bought a G2 but I used to adjust "mid" the aperture with my M6 without any problem. I think there are no reasons that it can't be efficient with the G lenses ! Make a test,look inside the lens and move the ring you'll see how the elements move inside. The diaph works even the lens off the body.

Have some pleasure with G2

Nicolas

G

Yes, Nicolas is correct. There's no aperture connection or communication between the lens and body as with an SLR. The lens should hold any f-stop you desire.

p.s. Especially using slide film, if you have any reason to suspect you won't be getting the right exposure, the auto-bracketing feature is very handy.

--Rick

G

Right, it's continuous, with detentes at the whole stops. One annoyance with contax is that there are so few lenses with clicks at half-stops, though. If you want to set intermediate values and leave them there - very useful in some applications - you can be defeated by the tendency of the ring to slip to one or the other click stop (whole stop). Not the end of the world, but it's been a problem for me on a number of occasions.

G

Charles,

If exposure is the issue why not use the exposure compensation? That gives 1/3 stop increments.

Also, I suspect that the actual shutter speed is what we sometimes call 'Programmed' and not always what the display says. ie. it could give a shutter speed of 1/100 when it says 1/90. Certainly I reckon that I have had 3 seconds in auto exposure when the normal sequence would be 2 seconds or 4 seconds.

Clive

G

The exposure compensation works well when you shoot with natural night or dedicated TTL flash. For Contax lenses without 1/2 stop clicks, it is a pain when you use studio strobes or shoot in manual mode. I have heard photographers complain about it often. This is one area I always wish Contax can improve upon. Carl Zeiss lenses for Hasselblad has 1/2 stop click and Rollei even has 1/3 stop clicks. Why can't Contax learn from them?

For me, when I make studio shoot with the N1 or C645 in the studio. I always have to climb up the stool on top of the camera to view the aperture ring and adjust to the 1/2 stop position. (I can see half stop value from the viewfinder, but it does not change right at the half position.) Imagine shooting the whole assignment with 1/2 stop bracketing, I have to climb up and down the stool over hundred times each day. And this approach only works for still life.

G

"For me, when I make studio shoot with the N1 or C645 in the studio. I always have to climb up the stool on top of the camera to view the
aperture ring....."

Your camera has a stool? Wow!

Clive

G

In addition to the flippant comment I made earlier;

Come on guys, we are losing track of what the G Series cameras are. No camera can suit every purpose and very few people would expect them to be used in a studio with strobes. Granted the 645 and RTSiii should have smaller increments, but a rangefinder?

Clive