DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Reduce Files Size App

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Android. But if you got to the Apple App store and search for reduce file size, I am sure that there are many offers with reviews about them.

There are also Apps like fstop or photo mate R3 etc.

Last edited:
Not sure if its available on IOS via app store but for Mac/linux/win I recommend (FREE) this:

https://imageoptim.com/mac

Shelton.

That app sounds good. Also for Windows and Linux available.

Not sure if its available on IOS via app store but for Mac/linux/win I recommend (FREE) this:

ImageOptim is excellent for publishing images on the web (easily shrinks images “Saved for Web” in Photoshop). It's useful for making Mac and iPhone/iPad applications smaller (if you configure Xcode to allow better optimization).

Please pay attention with the option for the Exif data. We do want to have the display of Exif data here! So, make sure that you have the right settings while using it.

ImageOptim removes EXIF metadata, such as GPS position and camera's serial number, so that you can publish images without exposing private information (but there's an option to keep the metadata if you need it).

ImageOptim is great to squeeze the smallest file size out of images without affecting quality, and it can also be configured to allow lossy compression to further shrink files. However, it won't downscale images, which is arguably the best way to obtain smaller files if there is no need for the full resolution. At some point a high-resolution image saved with extreme compression will start to look worse than a lower resolution file with reasonable compression. You will need some additional app for downscaling on an iPhone, the standard Photos app only allows cropping from what I can find (also Android user here).

I really don’t think it’s worth the effort to reduce file sizes. Just so you can post here. I really don’t think getting criticism for a 4 MB file is in my future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back