DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Backup plan

A

antonyb

Hi All,

I have an Aria and a fairly large selection of C/Y lenses and am thinking of securing that investment with a backup body. I'm wondering whether to get a 2nd hand RTS3 body or a new Canon 350D (maybe even a 10D) with an adapter for my lenses. I already scan my films with a Minolta Scan Elite 5400 and am very happy with the results, but am attracted by the lack of film/processing cost of a DSLR.

I was wondering what the "public" opinion is regarding this camera choice?

As always, I appreciate the advice.

Thanks, Antony.

350D is a great option. After using it for a few months you may end up not shooting film again.

Forget about the 10D. The DIGIC II image processor engine in the newer Canon dSLR models (20D, 350D, MKIIs) are so much better. Buy a 350D if you are in a budget.

RTS III is one of the best MF camera ever. You can hardly find anything that well built nowadays. It would be a great collection to your existing c/y lenses. If you hold it in your hand, you don't want to put it down.

But dSLR is a very practical choice.

Albert - I notice your first listed Canon camera is the 20D, is it THAT much better than the 350D?

I am also worried that I will be unsatisfied with the build of the 350D - I have played with a 300D digital rebel and was very dissapointed...

Antony

Why not pick up one of the used AX:s before it becomes a rare collectors item. It is really a marvelous thing which probably will secure your investment substantially. I have had one from the very beginning and together some c/y lenses plus combined with an adaptor for my Hasselblad F-lenses I have had great times. Good luck Nils

Antony, I have not handled the new 350D, so I could not tell how much different from the 20D. However, the 20D is a good body for $1400. So much better than the 10D in many ways. 0.2 second start up time, E-TTL-2, faster capture, image quality, etc. The AF is much better than the 300D.

Tell you the true, the 20D is not that well built neither, it is not as well built as the EOS 1 series, but better than the 300D for sure. One thing I like is the light weight, fast startup and fast capture with 8m sensor. I am getting the 1D MK II as 2nd body for my next wedding. But for the image quality, the 1D Mk II is not much different than the 20D except for the 1.3x FOV, with 3 times the price of the 20D. Certainly, MK II is a better body, but for dollar per value, I think 20D is a great buy.

You are so lucky to have a collection of C/Y lenses that you can use with any Canon dSLR body. I invested big bucks on the seven Zeiss AF lenses which have no use beside the Contax bodies. I am still looking around in eBay to build up my C645 lens collect.

Just a question to Albert Lau. You said the DIGIC II image processor engine is better in the newer generation Canon bodies. If they are better, could you tell me in what way ?

Comments from dpreview suggested the switch from 10D to 20D is not that worthwhile. I would like to see the other view.

To me, my frustration to partial view cameras is always with the partial view and the reluctance of Canon to drop the price of the full view cameras.

Joseph, I am not trying to be technical here. I have use the 10D for a while and when I got my 20D, I never look back.

Let's say from my own user experience, the DIGIC II gives:
1. very good hi-ISO result. (I think ISO 800 in 20D is as good as or better than iso-200 in the 10D). That is the main improvement for me.
2. The write time and capture rate are faster. I like that feature too.

other than that, 20D has 8M sensor (not a big deal, but almost 30% higher than the 10D. And as I mention before, the fast start up is a big plus for wedding. You can turn on the camera and take a shot in .3 sec.

I can't think of anything the 10D is better except the battery grip.

If one has the 10D already, probably not a real big deal to upgrade to the 20D. It is kind of sugestive. But if anyone wants to consider getting the 10D vs 20D like Antony does, I would vote for 20D without any reservation.

Antony,
I think the main question to resolve is whether or not you want to go digital. Given your choice, I think at present I would buy the RTS3 which will probably last for ever whereas I expect you will want to upgrade the 350D. You are already partly digital in that you scan film.
I also use film and the Elite Scan 5400. It is great apart from the slowness at full resolution. There is a Mark 2 version out now which claims to be quick.
On the other hand if you do want to go in camera digital, there is a bewildering choice but the fact that CZ lenses can be used on the Canon must be a plus.
John

John,

I think my main problem with film at the moment is not being able to find somewhere that can develop my films without messing them up! I have recently bought my own place and as such no longer have the luxury of space that I had when renting to do my own developing.

This is causing me major problems. Any suggestions (from anyone) about where to use in the UK would be greatly appreciated!

I am also tempted by the immediacy of digital - if I can't process my own films then I don't want to wait for them to come back nicely stained by being left covered in chemical wash!

Antony

Back