DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Do photographers posting here want honest feedback, or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes!! At age 73 and having worked in a low pressure job for 40 yrs , I don't think anything about my 60 yr photog hobby would cause me aggravation. It's all good. Losing a lens cap or forgetting you didn't charge that extra battery might be irritating-don't you think? Someone thinking my picture looks like a turd doesn't bother me- they might be right.
I enjoy the process of taking photos. This includes reading about a topic and then learning by viewing photos that others have shared. Based on this preparation, it's easy for me to spot which of my shots worked and the many that didn't, after a shoot.

If I want critical feedback, then there should be known space for that. But if I'm just sharing shots and gear details for fun, then I wouldn't want to be ambushed by some self-appointed critic.

I wish you all well!

Do people posting images here want honest feedback? Or is this more for "social sharing?"

I used to spend a lot of time posting at naturephotographers.net, where the expectation was that people would post their best work and expect honest critiques from other photographers. It was an excellent way for people to gauge the quality of their own work, hear honest criticism and advice, and incorporate that into their future work. I spent many years at NPN but have moved on after it changed owners and took a different form.

I know it can be hard for any of us to take criticism, and some people posting at NPN actually only wanted positive feedback. I also know how hard it can be to give honest feedback in a sensitive manner.

So, before I go down the wrong track here I'd like to hear what others think of this. Do you want such feedback? Do you think it helps or hurts to get such feedback? Do we need a way to indicate our preferences when we post an image? Should the be a separate forum just for image critiques?

Feedback on posted images? Absolutely! Positive / Negative...I don' t mind at all. On the contrary. Just bring it on....loud and clear.
Sometimes very educational. Sometimes agree to disagree. Especially when taste is involved.
To be honest, I don' t understand the problem here.

Feedback on posted images? Absolutely! Positive / Negative...I don' t mind at all. On the contrary. Just bring it on....loud and clear.
Sometimes very educational. Sometimes agree to disagree. Especially when taste is involved.
Bingo! Well said Fred!

What problem are you referring to?

Opinions obviously vary. For me, if you’re posting a photo then it‘s reasonable to expect constructive criticism. Constructive being the key word here, so things like suggesting a different crop or different processing choices. Just saying that a photo is crap isn’t acceptable, to me at least.

just an afterthought….”honest feedback” implies that there also is “dishonest feedback “. Wonder what that would be.
Oh well, doesn’t really matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back