DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

April 2023 Part I — This Month Through Your Adapted Lens

Nice image, the wet flowers look good. I have trouble getting good images of white azelias myself because of their very whiteness. Perhaps if you could hve stopped down a trifle you might have brought more of the lower lhs of the image into focus. Softer edges don't matter so much ... or maybe you could crop some to avoid that part - square may have worked.
I did not realize this was a post for critique section. At this distance, I would have to close the 85mm lens way down to f16 or so get the lower section in focus. Not something that I would do. After shooting for 60 years, tend to develop a style. Some like it, some do not- but I am not going to change it.

I did not realize this was a post for critique section. At this distance, I would have to close the 85mm lens way down to f16 or so get the lower section in focus. Not something that I would do. After shooting for 60 years, tend to develop a style. Some like it, some do not- but I am not going to change it.
Sorry about that Brian. Not knowing the flower and the circumstances it just popped out. Your flower, your circumstances, your conception. I will remember this in future.

The Pentax 85/4.5 "UAT" is corrected from UV through to Infrared. It was for the scientific market, was used for the optics of some high-end optical spectrum analyzers. Used for photography- accurate reproduction of color, with no fringing that I can detect. No focus shift due to chromatic aberration, will be a perfect lens for the new Pentax Monochrome camera and for B&W film I've used it on the Leica M Monochrom, but scale focus. About 40 of these lenses are known to still exist. I suspect a lot were trashed when the instruments they were used in were decommissioned. Some were sold for forensic photography- not embedded inside of some devices. Those are the ones you normally see.

L1016552.jpg
  • Leica Camera AG - M9 Digital Camera
  • Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 (II)
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.4
  • 1/1000 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 160

One of my favorite pictures from a "Daddy Daughter Day". "Warm November Day", 1934 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5 Sonnar, converted to Leica mount. This lens was like Wax Paper when bought off Ebay for $67. Glass cleaned up perfectly, made a focus mount out of left over parts from 2 J-3 mounts. Focus is perfect- in this case, on the leading strands of hair. This is one of the earliest Sonnars that can be converted, has a filter ring, early ones did not. Nickel, no chrome.

Also wide-open, at night.
L1006691.jpg
  • Leica Camera AG - M9 Digital Camera
  • Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 (II)
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/2
  • 1/90 sec
  • Center-Weighted Average
  • Manual exposure
  • ISO 320

Coma, not astigmatism, in the out of focus regions. I've converted a lot of lenses to Leica Mount.

I am denting my welcome just somewhat (just this once) so that I can compare the Australian Pelican in flight as a comparison to the American one.

Taken with a canon 10D dslr in 2005 using the Canon EF 100-400/4.5-5.6 Trombone Zoom

View attachment 1740
Everyone knows the Australian Pelican from watching Finding Nemo! A very nice photo, though. Here I see American White Pelicans wintering on the lakes in Mexico City (and the last of them flew north this week gone) and Brown Pelicans on the Pacific Coast.

Regards,

Alan

Everyone knows the Australian Pelican from watching Finding Nemo! A very nice photo, though. Here I see American White Pelicans wintering on the lakes in Mexico City (and the last of them flew north this week gone) and Brown Pelicans on the Pacific Coast.

Regards,

Alan
Thanks Alan, my bird photographs are more by accident than design - just when a bird happens to fly past the lens when I have camera in hand ... :)

Not a birder - I have not mastered that skill or patience but I probably have a few accidental bird shots ....

In any case none that presently qualify for your welcome as usual monthly threads.

Must try harder - perhaps stalk a kangaroo from one of the nuisance mob that seems to be breeding up on our front paddock seeing that they have no natural predators since 'modern man' decided that regular food came from a supermarket.

Tom

Post no new photos please. The May 2023 thread has just started. Thanks.
I'm sorry- misread the title and missed "This Month". The flower shot- same day, shots of my Daughter are older.
I will not make that mistake again. Any posts with my Z5 are always adapted lenses, bought just for that purpose.

I'm sorry- misread the title and missed "This Month". The flower shot- same day, shots of my Daughter are older.
I will not make that mistake again. Any posts with my Z5 are always adapted lenses, bought just for that purpose.
Hi Brian,

No need to apologize. There is no time restriction on the images; post new photos or old photos, as you wish. The “this month” just means that we restart the thread each month.

Regards,

Alan

Back