DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

M6 Shutter bInnacuracyb vs M7 Electronic Shutter

James: At the risk of appearing to state the obvious, take out the batteries and clean the contacts with a dry lint free cloth. Put the batteries back in, and see what happens. If the problem continues, put in a fresh set of batteries, and try again. Let us know what happens.

Ever so sorry guys - this is partly because its 3 am and I only just finished editing for the day, so a bit tired! I think I worked out why it is - because the room is much darker in the low-lights than it was earlier in the daytime, if I set a small enough aperture, its outside the camera's meter range and it doesn't register at all. If I increase the aperture, one, and then both (if shutter speed is adequate) lights return! Sorry, just inexperience... James

James

Don't appologise for anything. We have all been there.

All Leica people are mad anyway. They are generally characterised by their staring eyes, shaking hands and empty pockets. They go around muttering strange incantations containing words such as SEROO,VIDOM and SOOEY. They know that the world began in 1879 with the birth of Oskar Barnack and will not end until the iris on the last Summicron finally closes. It is a world where a lens can be named after a dog and anything not manufactured in Wetzlar (or Solms)is treated with grave suspicion.

We bid you welcome.

Mike

Mike and William --

Haha, thanks, now I feel much better - there are some people as mad as me on here! Do I have to learn these incantations in order to be truly initiated, or is a love of slide photography and an odd distracted look enough?

James

Hey James: NO big deal....continue to USE your new camera....don't look at it...don't worry about a few cosmetic nicks and bruises that you can look at and recall exactly what you were doing when you inflicted that small wound...don't worry about the exposures that you could have or should have done better with...your camera will become part of you...and, of course, we are all interested in how you are doing. You will never regret your purchase. However, as others have posted, better start saving your money for more lenses...

Elliot

Interesting series of posts. Don't normally like that kind of thing, but loved Mike Stevenson's one about the lunacy of Leica users! One of the few of this type which made me laugh aloud.
I've not had an M6, but have had an M7 and two MPs. The M7 is sold. I found it flaky, and it only got around 50% of what I paid for it after about a year. Got an MP, and loved it, so have bought a second one. free motor winds from Leica, and they are a delight to use.

> Hi Andrew:: With reference to the MP... other then the improved finder > ( I have never had much trouble with the flare problems others have > described with the older M cameras ) how do you find the camera better the > the M6 classic? I also have an MP, and I find it very agreeable to use > and hold....however, much better then the classic?

Bests for the holiday,

Elliot

I can't comment about the differences between this and the M6, as I've never had an M6 or M6TTL. I had an M2 for a year or so, and it was my favourite camera. Even wrote to a forum (this one?) about the possiblity of putting a meter on it.

Then got the M7, and it is the only Leica I have owned which I really didn't like. It felt too automated, too much like any other semi-automatic. I didn't have confidence in it. I have a IIIf which is better than the M7 was.

So after getting remarkably little for it (below 50% after less than a year, with lots of passport still to go) I plunged and got an MP. Fantastic, and my credit card has now bought another one. It feels more like the M2, and is a delight to use. Never quite trusted the M7 and literally would not have one given, except to sell.

With the MP, Leica were so supportive. Bought one from Ffordes (great company I regularly use), but there was a mistake on the website, where they offered a free motor wind. The offer had expired two or three weeks previously. Rang Leica, and they said, don't worry, you'll get it. It arrived next day. Then said to the nice lady, I bought my first MP a week before the offer opened. (You can tell how keen I was, after selling the M7.) She asked me to write in and explain. A Leicavit arrived a day or do later. This was a mistake - hated the Leicavit (slightly rheumatic hands made it awkward). Still, I thought, I'll keep it, as they have been very good. The nice lady rang a day later to ask if I was happy. Explained the position. Next morning a motor wind arrived, and they collected the Leicavit.

With service like that, who should worry?

Elliot - Yes, you're right. Don¹t worry though, I'm very much a hands on photographe r - the Leica will definitely be much used. I'm pleased that its essentially unmarked now because I will, as you say, be able to remember which mark cam e from where, because they'll all be mine! I must say, now I've started using it, I find the exposure metering quite ingenious - I absolutely LOVE the way that its analogue, in the sense that the arrows glow different intensity the more you compensate the exposure - so that you can do it to the most minute and precise degree. So much better than a 'stepped' meter. I've already worked out that you turn the aperture ring in the direction of the arrow to move towards the correct exposure and that, bizzarely, its designed so that the shutter speed dial moves contrary to the direction of the arrow to do the same (its easy enough to remember this as an exception). The camera is just starting to be more familiar in these respects and already I'm very much taken by its ergonomics and the fact that its making me think creatively. Now I just need to use it enough, and practice enough that all this is automatic and I can just focus on the shot I want to create. Thanks for your support! James

Back