CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Should I upgrade from a Contax G1 to a Contax G2? Help

panamacolin

Hi,
Just wondering if you guys think I should upgrade from a g1 to a g2. With current prices so cheap on the g2 package its hard to resist.

I like my G1 because it is small. The I havent had many problems with the auto focus. I usually carry the g1 with a 35mm in a cargo pocket in my pants. Do you think the g2's larger size will hinder me from doing this with it?

Is the G2 really that much better than a G1 for travel? Im going to panama in december for 3 weeks do you think this camera would be better than my g1? Is it more durable? Does it have better seals?

Any info you can provide would be much appreciated.

THanks,
Colin

afranklin

> I like my G1 because it is small. The I havent had many problems with > the auto focus. I usually carry the g1 with a 35mm in a cargo pocket > in my pants. Do you think the g2's larger size will hinder me from > doing this with it?

Is the G2 really bigger, or significantly bigger?

Austin

R

rickd

I think of the G2 as being faster to use, with quicker, more accurate focusing and of course the availability of 4 fps(although I don't use this mode myself). The viewfinder is more user-friendly. The clincher for some folks is that only the G2 can accommodate the zoom.

All that said, i wouldn't have any qualms about traveling with a G1 either. Both cameras will deliver what the lenses are capable of.

Austin's comment is apt as well--the size and weight differences between the two are negligible.

--Rick

afranklin

> Austin's comment is apt as well--the size and weight differences > between the two are negligible.

Hi Rick,

I was actually asking! I have a bunch of Contax SLRs, and use Leica M6s for my 35mm rangefinders...and have seriously thought about the G2, given the amazing rebate...but if you say that the size/weight between the two are negligible, that certainly helps my interest in the G2...

Regards,

Austin

R

rickd

I've finally got it, Austin!

There's a whopping three ounces difference between the two, and the G2 is six mm wider, four taller and four thicker.

The G1's really attractive as a 2nd body on the used market considering how inexpensive they are. I'd love to have one myself to keep either the 21 or 16 on. The G2's advantages aren't all that significant when shooting wide angle. I considered the rebate deal just to get a 2nd G2 body, but instead am springing for a 100/2.8 Makro Planar for my SLR stuff (a lens I've lusted after for a long while). Ah, life's choices!

--Rick

panamacolin

Hi,

So if the body is 6mm wider, 4mm Taller and 4mm thicker, than in my pocket it will occupy 96mm more, a little less than 10cm. Thats alot when you keep it your pants pocket.

Ill be looking at my friends when he gets it back from Kyocera. I hope it fits in the cargo pants I bought for my upcoming trip to Panama.

Thanks,
Colin Thomas

M

mogrkaku

No, it will occupy an extra 96 mm^3, which is equivalent to a cube of 4.57mm (~ 0.5 cm) length on each side.