DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Hard to choose between 85F2 90F2 100F2

mainly for studio portrait but I don't have any zuiko macro lens...I also have 135f2.8MC & 50f1.4
or I could go for 100mm f2.8 & 50mmf3.5macro for cheaper price ?
sad.gif

Thanks

100/2, 90/2, 85/2 is my order of preference.
100 because it has ED elements, however it is possibly "too" sharp for portraiture work. The 90/2 is great, but more expensive than the 100/2. The 85/2 is a great lens with the focal length being perhaps more useful than the slightly longer lenses.

I've currently got a 100/2.8 silvernose (SC). Great for portraits, but perhaps a bit too long for my liking (for portraits). I think it's about on par resolution wise with the 85/2.

If you can find the faster f/2 lenses, go for it!

Dear Sevensister..
The 100/2 and 90/2 are very very good lenses in the Zuiko stable. They both cost quite high. And both are quite hefty in size. I have the 90/2 and the 85/2. So if $ is of no concern , go for the harder to get 100/2.

The 90/2 is a macro lens.

The 100/2 is incredibly sharp - a common 'complaint' amongst its users. Too sharp for portraits sometimes.

I have the 85/2 which is one of my favourites. Small and easy to carry around, it therfore gets to be used more often than the heavier lenses. Its not much bigger than a standard 50mm lens - thats the beauty of Zuiko lenses. I love it very much becos of its rendition of the out of focus areas - 'bokeh' as it is called. Very nice and smooth.

Zuiko f2 lenses are all worth buying and keeping. If U have been searching reviews and all that over the net, U would have known by now.

I also have a Zuiko 100/2.8 (boxed) that I am willing to sell.

Contact me offlist if U are interested.

Rgds
TMLee

Maybe I should go for 85 F2 or 90 F2 <-- How about the handling if use is as a portrait lens ?

Agree with Daniel 100 F2 is best image quality but a bit too long for my portraiture work.

Thanks Daniel Tan & Lee Teck Meng
happy.gif

The information is very useful

Dear 7sister....
Using the 90/2 ?

One thing I forgot to mention.....

The 90/2 being a large lens in diameter, presents a slight 'problem' bcos you will find it a bit hard to reach the aperture and shutter ring area.

Plus its weight etc, I guess my vote goes to using the 85/2 for portraiture . Also , its a cheaper lens to try out first.

Rgds
TMLee

Dear TMLee,

Thanks for your info !
happy.gif

Finally I go for 100/2 because the MOD of 100/2 is better than 85/2 & 100/2.8 a lot & the 90/2 handling problem you mention.

Regards.
Veland
happy.gif

dear V....
enjoy your new 100/2, I am sure you won't regret it.

Rgds
TMLee

Back