DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Current price for Zeiss 55mm f1.2

deshojo

Hello all.

Does anyone have any idea of the going price for a Zeiss 55mm f1.2 100yr anniversary lens?
I may have the option on one and need a starting point for negotiation. I've not seen one available before, and despite searching dozens of pages of google I've been unable to find a price indication.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

It all depends on the condition of the lens and whether it is in original packaging with hood, etc. This is a very rare lens, probably the rarest of all Contax lenses, with possible exception to the 500/f4 Mirotar.

If the lens is in "Like New In Box", just as it was when purchased new (with all caps and hoods, papers, etc.), then I would give the seller whatever he asks for it. Period. If this is the case, and you decide to pass on it, please let me know as I will buy such a lens. By the way, the list price for this lens when sold in 1996 was about US$7500.

If the lens is in Mint condition, but without hood or box etc., then the value is roughly US$4500. With the anniversay hood and original packaging, the current value is about US$5600.

Below mint condition, the value will drop quickly according to how heavily it was worn. However, even a beat-up "bargain" condition of this lens is still valued at about US$2000 as long as the optics are good and it is functioning well. If something is broken or needs any serious repair, it may be worth much much less (if anything), since many spare parts are no longer available from Zeiss.

So, in general, the lens is worth a great deal to collectors when it is in LN condition. Otherwise, the value drops considerably. For a "daily use" lens, it will someday require cleaning, calibration and/or repair which will no longer be possible in the near future from Zeiss, so this should be taken into consideration.

David

Hi Matt,
In the U.K. the lens sold at £3999.99 and I know where there still is one new, just been on display in a glass cabinet. If you are based in Europe its not a problem should you want one but I do not know your location as its not in your profile. If you want further help drop me a private e-mail and I can check for you.
Depends how much the one you are looking at is and the condition its in. As David has already said if not in Mint condition with Box paperwork etc then price drops very quickly. Bob

David,

Thank you for such a comprehensive answer. Your time and knowledge are much appreciated.

Regards,
Matt

Bob,

I am waiting for a condition report and some photos of the lens from the seller, as well as the price he's looking for.
If it is in poor condition I may well contact you, thank you. FYI I am in the UK.

Regards,
Matt

I think confusion sometimes arises because the 85mm f1.2 came in 50 and 60 year editions, but this was 50 and 60 years of Contax, whereas the 55mm f1.2 was to celebrate 100 years of Zeiss.

Hi All,

Actually, the 100 year anniversary 55mm f1.2 was to celebrate 100 years of the Planar lens, not 100 years of Zeiss, which is why the lens has 'Planar 100 jahre' on the barrel. It celebrates the first design of the Planar lens in 1896. Only 1000 of these 55mm f1.2 Planars were built. The 50 Jahre & 60 jahre Contax items were to celebrate the 50th & 60th anniversaries of Contax.

Cheers Steve.M.

Back