DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Did anyone have a chance to use new Fuji films Astia 100F Velvia 100F

M

mikel

I'm curious how does Velvia 100F perform compared to its older version (Velvia 50) as well as Astia vs Provia.

Mike.

Hi Mike, I've had a chance to shoot 1 roll of the New Astia F and had favorable results. I haven't had a chance to really compare it to the old Astia yet - as this roll hasn't been mounted yet. (Long story - don't ask) I have a few grab shots of a nice old red MG T (I think that's the right model - I just like certain classic cars but often don't know much about them!) that was sitting in a parking lot where a friend and I were having lunch one weekend. These expsores were made with my cz 50/1.7. The red is nice and deep. I have a few images of fall colors on here too, although nothing to brag about, and the colors seem to be exactly as I had remembered them. Contrast isn't wild, but is pleasing to me. No color shifts one way or the other. Granted, Astia is talked about as more of a portrait slide film, but I think this roll showed it is quite a bit more capable than that. The grain is extraordinarily fine and tight. Super smooth. I still haven't decided completely what I think of the old Astia emulsion - althought it shares the fine grain nicely - from one week to the next my opinion of it changes based on it's other characteristics. Hope this helps a little bit. At about $5+/35mm/36 exp roll, or about $4+/120 at B&H it is worth testing it out. -Lynn

Hi Mike,

I only shot one roll of Velvia 100. I shot it side by side with Velvia 50 and so far prefer the V50. I like the blue greens of the old V50 and the 100 seemed much more reddish in cast. I have heard from a few others who also weren't impressed by V100. I have heard that there is another new Velvia called 100Daylight that is only in Asia that is much better than V100F. I can't verify this though and in fact I was just in Vietnam and none of the pros I know had heard anything about it...although Vietnam is still a bit off the beaten path photographically speaking. I would love to hear other comments.

Guy

Guy,

When you say it's more "reddish" in cast, do you mean it's simply warmer than Velvia (which is already quite warm) or that it really has a red cast over entire image?

Mike.

Mike,

It has been a while since I looked at the two rolls I shot. Very shortly after I shot them I took off for SE Asia and just returned so will re-look at them but my memory says it was a much warmer film. I often shoot V50 with an 81A on and I think I would have to shoot the V100 without and even then I'm not sure I would like the "look". I am going to shoot another roll of 100 w/o an 81A to compare. Guy

Back