DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss 18/4.0

you will have to stop down at least to fstop 8 due to light-fall-off.

Hi Michael,

does the light fall off seriously during wide open ?

Regards
KS

Does anyone have a serious comment about this lens.
What about: Vignetting? Flare? Sharpness at f4 f5.6 and f8, Color?

I think of buying one, but it is a very old design. Surprisingly German magazine colorfoto tested it as a very good lens, better than its competitors from Nikon and Canon. But not as good as the 21/2.8 from Zeiss. The 18/4 is much cheaper and lighter dan the 2,8. I prefer the 2,8 if the performance is very good indeed.

Thanks for your information,
Melv.

Error:

In the message above:

I prefer the 18/4 if its performance is very good indeed. (It might be not as good as the 21/2,8 but I hope the 18/4 is still a very good lens)

Thanks,
Melv.

>i already stated that you will have to stop down to 8 or 11 to get rid of light-fall-off. lens is sharp enough, colors are good but there are flares like in all super-wide-angle lenses if there is a light source in the image. i had tested a 15mm and i have seen unbelievable irregular curved vertical lines at left and right side of a horizontal image. buy a g1 or 2 with 21mm and you will get more performance.]

i will discuss the 15mm-matter with experts and check a second lens which is hopefully of better quality. some people say there are some 45mm-lenses which are inferior to others. maybe one has to compare different lens-type at the same time. my lenses seem to be of the same superbe quality. i do not like the bluish taste of canon fd-lenses. its only a problem if using certain slide-films.

I have the 18mm in the Rollei fitting and assured my Nikon using friends that it gives no pincushion or barrel distortion and had not noticed any vignetting because I had used it at f8 or lower - then I read a magazine test (slr magazine) and tried it at max aperture - yes it vignates badly but still, for buildings there are tripods !
Regards
Bob

Back