DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Optical difference between MF lenses G lenses and N lenses

G

I'm planning to buy a Contax system. I'm in for the MF system (not so expensive as the N system and more flexible than the G system) but I heard the G system has optically better lenses (28,45,90mm primes) than the MF system (28/2,8 50/1,7 and 85/2,8 primes): sharper, more contrast and more color saturation.

Is this true? Is the optical difference worth buying the G system instead of a MF system?

The Sander van Geffen wrote:

>I'm planning to buy a Contax system. I'm in for the MF system (not so >expensive as the N system and more flexible than the G system) but I >heard the G system has optically better lenses (28,45,90mm primes) >than the MF system (28/2,8 50/1,7 and 85/2,8 primes): sharper, more >contrast and more color saturation. > >Is this true?=20

Partly. The differences between the 45/2 and 50/1.7, and 90/2.8 vs. = 85/2.8 are negligible. The Biogon 28/2.8 however is in many respects better than its retrofocus equivalent, the Distagon 28/2.8. In particular the = critical user can detect curvilinear distortion and lateral color with the latter. On the other hand the Distagon is still a decent lens and most users = don't even notice these residual aberrations.

>Is the optical difference worth buying the G system instead of a >MF system?

You are the only person who can answer that question.

W.

Hi Sander,

I would be cautious to decide for a certain Contax system just by the criteria "which has the best lens".

I think we all know, that no matter what system will be yours, it will have excellent lenses with it. There might be differences if you would compare different Zeiss lenses to each other, but with Zeiss quality in general, we are talking about very very small differences.

In my opinion you need to approach this decision from a different perspective. To get the right system for you, you should first think what at all you want to take pictures of.

See for a detailed comparison my comment in the Why Contax and which Contax for your needs.

You just will be happy, if you find the system you will really use often. After you decided that, you should think about which lens will be the best for you.

Look also in the comments in News/info folder on the left. There you will see some comments about the common mis-interpretation of MTF data and the criteria to really explore the Zeiss quality.

After reading this, you will understand why the decision for this or that Contax/Zeiss-System should not be mainly driven by MTF data or potentially better lens design.

At the end of the day "small" factors of which a newcomer does not think of in the first hand are much more important for great pictures with axcellent image quality, especially the right light and the combination of the light with the subject. Otherwise your image will look like taken with a 49USD lens on sale.

hope that helps

Back