DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Critiquecomments requested

mtpenmaker

I make pens and sell them at juried arts and crafts shows and also through my website. I'm testing a new background for the pen photos to use on my website and would like some comments/suggestions about how to improve it. This shot was take with my D40 and 18-55mm lens set at 55mm. I use a homemade like tent and 3 27w 5500K CFL bulbs. The light tent is covered with a white sheet. The pen is resting directly on the black plexiglass. The material is Kingman Turquoise and the fittings are copper plated.

I don't see a way to post a photo directly, so here's a link.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1051/1312617222_678cecbac2.jpg

Thanks in advance for your comments, good or bad.

Gerry - I like black glass and have experience working with it. However, I don't think it's appropriate for everything. I think your pen would look much better on white glass. I would recommend the same lighting. With white glass you'd see more detail and the reflected light from below the pen would show more of the pen's detail and shape. I used white glass to photograph some wooden bowls I turned when I was wood turning. The white glass really showed off the shape of the bowls and the dramatic grain of the wood. Good Luck.

Thanks. I'll order a piece and give it a try.

Actually, do you know how much light can be transmitted through white plexiglass, say 1/8" thick? I've been thinking of building a new light box and white plexiglass might work quite nicely.

I agree about a white background would work better with the pen. I recently photographed a flower on white where I wanted the light to come up from underneat but the light could also be used on top. I couldnt find any milky plexiglass so went to an art supply store and bought a very thin plastic poster board. Its shiny on one side and is translucent. I set it on a piece of plain glass on top of 2 horses but chairs work just as well then put my flash unit under it and a white board a couple of feet over the flower to reflect some light back. It worked great and was inexpensive to set up. The thin poster board I rhink was around 20 x 32" and I had it slope up in back.

oh and 1/8 plexiglass works great for light boxes I used it all the time when I did commercial photography. I preffer "opal glass" though since its stiff for a light box. Most glass stores carry the milky opal glass.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to order some 1/8" white plexiglass. The opal glass might be better but I would rather have something that won't shatter if it somehow gets knocked off the table.

Back