DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax bodies repair

G

Hello everybody,
I wonder if someone could share their experiences regarding repair of Contax cameras (I live in the US). My RTS, bought in 1978, has had an annoying intermittent problem with the light meter (you can read its descriotion in the Contax RTS thread), and I have been tempted to send it to the shop for years. The fact it is intermittent has made me hesitate.
Earlier today, my 167MT (bought in 1989 or so) froze after one shot. The mirror remained up (the shutter closed). I tried to rewind the film, it would not do it. After I took out the film, shut down the camera and then restarted, it seemed to work OK-- except it was not taking the new roll properly (I had to pull out more leader than usual for the "spooler" to catch it. Now it seems to be working fine, but I cannot trust it.
Would you send the cameras to Contax USA or to an independent camera repair shop? Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Juan

Try replacing the batteries on your 167. I had this problem more than once. It always turned out to be weak batteries. They are good enough for one wind or the measuring, but the stronger current drain from the rewind was too much.

Mike

Mike,
Thanks so much! New batteries (and a Reset) took care of the problem.

Juan

Back