DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Planar 85mm f14

G

Hi! Think I posted a previous message in the wrong slot Sorry. Does anyone have an oppinion on the Planar 85mm f1.4 please ?
Ken.T.

I have it, and it's a fabulous lens for al the reasons others will no = doubt explain. My only caveats are how heavy and expensive it is. I have = an Aria and tend not to use the lens as much as I would if it were = lighter, so make sure you have a camera body with which it will feel in = balance. When I want that focal length I more often use the 90mm 2.8 on = the G system, which is a superb lens. You might consider instead the C/Y = mount 85mm/2.8, which is lightweight, much less expensive alternative and = supposedly identical optically to the G 90mm. Unless you really need the = speed of the 1.4, I'd probably go for the 85/2.8.

Dirk. Many thanks for your observations, which I appreciate very much. My intentions are to use the lense in conjunction with the Contax RX Camera Body, which I am sure will balance in terms of the weight ratio. The main reason that I looked at the 85mm 1.4 as I have done with my other lenses, is the ability to use them handheld, rather than be lumbered with a tripod, although I have to admit, that a tripod is an absolute necessity,for successful photography, in the majority of cases.
Cheers Dirk. Ken.t.

There are few lenses rated as highly as the 1.4, 85mm Planar. It is of extremely high quality!

Jack Casner

a monopod-there are some around with legs-or a chain like those used in the bath is good tripod-replacement. in addition you could built a sort of l-shaped metal piece(should be protected, at least at one end)which is stucked into hotshoe. when shooting it is in contact with your head. both together is a simple solution. you just pull the camera up during shooting to hold the chain stiff.

Back