DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Stiff focus barrel on 28mm f2

G

I've just received my Contax 28mm f2 that I bought off ebay from Germany, however I think I'm going to have to try and send it back.

Ignoring the nicks on the lens barrel and the 3 or 4 (very fine) scratches on the lens (look like polishing damage), the focusing barrel is VERY stiff. It's so stiff, I can hear the play in the bayonet locking mechanism when I turn the barrel.

I presume this is NOT correct operation? My 50mm f1.4 is super smooth...

Is this expensive to fix?

I wouldn't mind if I'd payed for a 'good' ex&le, it's the fact that i paid for a Mint ex&le that bugs me!!

Thanks,
Jon

JON, SEND IT BACK! TOO EXPENSIVE TO FIX. I PICKED UP MY 28MM F2 WITH CASE FROM KEH PHOTO IN MINT - CONT. FOR $615.00 USD. NO STIFF FOCUS OR MARKS. IT'S A GREAT LENS! I SHOOT MOSTLY WIDE OPEN WITH IT AND MY 85MM 1.4. THE LENS SHOULD FOCUS THE SAME AS YOUR 50MM.. (I'M SELLING MY 28MM 2.8)
JOE M.

Hi Joe,

The seller took the lens back and sent me an AE version of the 28mm f2 instead. This is in much better condition, no scratches or scuffing. Not had chance to shoot with it yet, but the viewfinder picture looks spot on.

Just looking for a well priced 85mm f1.4 now !!

Cheers, Jon

Dear Jon & Jospeh,
from which aperture on is the Distagon 2.8/28mm equally good in your opinion? At f/5.6 the MTF curves of the 2.0/28mm show low sharpness in the outer region at 10-15mm out of the center, but at the edge (18-21mm) I expect it to be razor sharp again.
48333.jpg

RAINER, AS A LEICA SHOOTER FOR MORE THEN 25 YEARS I ONLY KNOW THAT EACH LENS HAS IT'S OWN STYLE.THE 28MM F2 IS SHARP, BUT ALSO GIVES A MORE OF A TONE GRADUATION. A LOT OF ZEISS LENES HAVE A HIGH AND HARD CONTRAST FOR ME . ALTHOUGH I LIKE IT ALOT IN MY 60MM S 2.8 MAKRO! MTF CURVES MEAN NOTHING TO ME. YOU JUST GOT TO FINE THE RIGHT LENS THAT WORKS WITH YOUR PHOTOGRAPHIC STYLE. SOMEDAYS I ONLY GO OUT WITH MY 1957 M3 LEICA AND THE DR 5OMM. LIKE MY OLD TAI-CHI MASTER ONCE SAID TO ME "LESS IS MORE".WE SOME TIMES GET INTO OUR LENES AND OTHER EQUIPMENT TOO MUCH AND MISS THE FUN AND GREAT PHOTOS OF PHOTOGRAPHY!. AS YOU WERE ASKING... AT F4 THEY ARE ABOUT THE SAME, BUT THE 28MM F2 LENS HAS MORE OF A WARM TONE. IN THE OLD DAYS WE WOULD CALL A LENS LIKE THIS "ONE THAT HAS STYLE"! I HOPE THIS HELPS A LITTLE. YOURS IN THE ZEN OF PHOTOGRAPHY. JOE

Back