DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Airport X ray

G

Will airport x ray machine damage the films? I'm going to a trip and worry about it. Does anyone have the answer?

jeff

> > Print Post Edit Post > > Will airport x ray machine damage the films? I'm > going to a trip and worry about it. Does anyone have > the answer?>>>

I've never had a problem with sending film through the scanners at the airport. Do NOT put film in your checked luggage. The x-ray machines for checked luggage are much stronger and will damage the film.

Hi Jeff--

Checked baggage is almost guaranteed to have film destroyed--the X-rays are high-intensity. If you carry-on, then your best bet is to use an X-ray bag and request a hand search. Stack the film in a clear plastic bag so they can see it well without opening the package. About half the time you will be denied, but at least with a trip requiring multiple passes through security you can cut down on the exposure. You can have the film go through the standard carry-on X-ray machine around 5 times without trouble (100 speed). I'd avoid taking faster film; also, try to get your film processed locally if at all possible.

Good luck,

Jim Kerner

> ...your best bet is to > use an X-ray bag and request a hand search...

> About half the time you will be denied...

Denied what? If you are flying in the US, you have the right to ask for a hand inspection, and it must be granted. It's part of the FAAs rules.

Section 108.17 "Use of X-ray systems."

"(e) No certificate holder may use an X-ray system to inspect carry-on or checked articles unless a sign is posted in a conspicuous place at the screening station and on the X-ray system which notifies passengers that such items are being inspected by an X-ray and advises them to remove all X-ray, scientific, and high-speed film from carry-on and checked articles before inspection. This sign shall also advise passengers that they may request that an inspection be made of their photographic equipment and film packages without exposure to an X-ray system."

That's THE LAW.

> > Denied what? If you are flying in the US, you have the right to ask for a hand inspection, and it must be granted. It's part of the FAAs rules.

Austin, I'd love to be there when you DEMAND your hand inspection. Threatening the inspectors will do wonders, try it sometime. LOL, ROFL

> > > Denied what? If you are flying in the US, you have the right to > ask for a hand inspection, and it must be granted. It's part of the > FAAs rules. > > Austin, I'd love to be there when you DEMAND your hand inspection. > Threatening the inspectors will do wonders, try it sometime. LOL, ROFL

Michael,

I clearly said ASK, not DEMAND, and I certainly didn't say anything about "threatening the inspectors". Why are you making these things up that I clearly didn't say? I didn't write the law, and the law IS the law, whether you, or the inspectors, like it or not.

Anyway, the LAW states that they have to comply with your request. In fact, I have asked, been denied, and then asked to speak with a supervisor...and asked again, denied...and pointed out that the FAA regulations do state that I am entitled to it...and he checked, came back appologized, and took care of it with no problem. Note, this was prior to 9/11. That is the only time I've been hassled about hand inspection. It was in Atlanta returning to Boston.

Austin

It all depends on the airport: I live in Boston, and have been able to get hand-inspections, especially when I note that special film is involved (like a few rolls of higher-speed or Polaroid), or mumble something about push-processing, or note how nicely I packaged everything to assist them in the hand-inspection; on the other hand, forget about it in London, where I have never had any luck. You just have to know what to expect.

For information on this subject, go here:

http://www.tsa.dot.gov/public/display?content=15

and download the PDF file of things you can and can't carry on. Go to page 3, and you'll read the following under "Electronic Devices/Camera Equipment":

"ASK THE SCREENER TO CONDUCT A HAND INSPECTION"

"YOU MAY ALWAYS REQUEST A HAND INSPECTION"

I do not find anywhere were it states that if you request a hand inspection it may be denied.

> > Austin,

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, I know you are right about the FAA regulations. I guess I just read too many email threads about the horrors of airport security.

I wonder, though, if the new TSA department is bound by the old FAA regulations. FAA is not in the airport security business anymore. >

Back