DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Question Old DDR Jena Zeiss lenses Any good

G

I recently came across this site:

Sonnar

It's in Japanese, but it has a few pictures of the Sonnar auto 2.8/200 MC Carl Zeiss Jena DDR lens.

I've been looking around but I can't find any info on these lenses, so I was wondering if someone here knows anything about these lenses?

For ex&le:

- When were they made?
- What does the "auto" mean?
- Are they uncoated? and if so, would they still be considered usable by today's standards?
- And, most important of all: is the quality comparable 'normal' Zeiss lenses?

Thank you very much in advance!

Onno van der Velde
Groningen
Holland

It is improved Sonnar Olympia. I used it for a while, and it was made in 1992. Auto means thay you can use aperture mode in cameras with M42 bayonet (for ex&le Practica). It doesn't work on Contax mount, you have to work at working aperture. It was coated (and it worked very good). There is a hood witch helps a lot, but IMHO should be longer. And finally, I was suprised how good that lens was. However I have never used Sonnar 180 2.8. If you want, I can send you some pictures. It obviously lacks tripod collar, because it weights around 800 g. The price in Poland for EX+ is around 150$ Maybe it will help you.

Jerzy Kolaczynski

Hi all,

There's a history of DDR lenses at this site:

history DDR lenses

and also a few facts about the 200/2.8 manufactured after the German = reunification:

Speed/Focal length 2.8/200mm =C3=98 72mm Weight 850g Made in DDR Comments Extremely rare.

This page (in Polish=C2=A8- can anyone translate ... Jerry?)=20

polish site

makes this statement about the lens:

'CARL ZEISS JENA SONNAR 200/2.8 Legendarny teleobiektyw (jak g=C5=82osi=C5=82y artyku=C5=82y w = fachowej prasie niemieckiej, lepszy od Leica Telyt 180/3.5) na gwint = M42 =E2=80=93 rzeczywi=C5=9Bcie rewelacyjnej jako=C5=9Bci optycznej, a = przy tym o doskona=C5=82ym =C5=9Bwietle. Ten egzemplarz posiada = dodatkowo styki electric =E2=80=93 super rzadko spotykany na rynku. = Stan (3) 850 zl'

While Mr. Valerio Saulini says on this page:

Saulini page

'There was a Carl Zeiss Jena MC Sonnar 2,8/200 (It seems to be an = outstanding lens, definitely better than the ancient Olympia Sonnar = 2,8/180. I saw one modified to fit Leica R cameras, but is a very rare = lens).'

BTW the Olmpia Sonnar originally appeared in 1936 with for the time = absolutely record-breaking combination of tele length (180mm) and hign = speed (2.8). The lens was HUGE - it weighed several kilograms - and was = developed especially to capture the Olympics in Berlin that year. = Prominent film maker of the German regime - Leni Riefenstahl - used this = lens for many action-packed close up shots of the sportsmen in her = olympic documentary 'Triumph des Willes' - in itself a revolution modern = film making.

A new Olympia Sonnar appeared in 1966 (still 180/2.8), and it must be = this lens that was improved into the Sonnar T* (West Zeiss) 180/2.8 = sometime around 1980 and then again in 1992 into the Pentax-Sonnar = 200/2.8.

There are a lot of pictures (mainly flowers and cats) taken with the = 200/2.8 lens at this page:

pictures

This other guy does a lot of astronomical work with the Sonnar 2.8/200 = lens (and it seems that this particular lens is actually often used by = astro-photographers):

astro work

Regards,

Jakob

This page (in Polish=3DC2=3DA8- can anyone translate ... Jerry?)

polish site

Legendary telephoto (better than Leica Telyt 180/3,5 as the articles in german press stated), M42 thread version - indeed outstanding optical quality, along with the minimum aperture of 2,8. This particular lens has also got 'electric' contacts (for Practicas and such) - which make it extremely rare on the market. Condition (3 - out of 5) Price is ~$210.

regards,

Krzysztof

Hi folks,

I am using the MC 4/50, 2,8/120, 2,8/180mm CARL ZEISS Jena mendium format lenses with success over an adapter with my CONTAX 645 AF (!) No complaints at all, superb qualities which mtach up with other good medium format lens manufacturers. These lenses are excellent!

Regards, Rainer

Hello,

I have a chance to have an Exakta RTL 1000 with some lenses (made by Carl Zeiss Jena). These lenses are CZJ Flektogon 35/2.8, Pancolar 50/1.8 and Triotar 135/4. What do you think about these lenses from optical quality point of view? Are they still usable in 21th century? Is there a big difference between these lenses and todays T* Planar 1.7 or 1.4/50, Distagon 35/2.8 and Sonnar 135/2.8?

I'm deciding between buying this Exakta (really cheap) and lenses or second hand Yashica FX-3 Super 2000 and some second hand CZ lenses (Planar, Distagon).

Thanks a lot,

Karel

Is there anybody having experience with lenses for Contax II (production approx.: 1935-1955 - after 1945 in Jena only) ?

JerryQuax

"Is there anybody having experience with lenses for Contax II (production approx.: 1935-1955 - after 1945 in Jena only) ?"

see

www.cameraquest.com/conrf.htm and www.cameraquest.com/zconrf2.htm

Summary

contax II and III were considered the proffessional cameras while Leica was for amateurs.

The Zeiss lenses were generally considered to be better than the Leica lenses at the time

In paricular (from www.cameraquest.com/conrf.htm ) " 21/4 Biogon, hard to find, outstanding reputation 35/2.8 Biogon, Legendary 50/1.5 Sonnar, West and East, outstanding reputation. The 50/1.5 Sonnar is generally considered one of the best normal lenses ever. 85/2 Sonnar, West and East, outstanding reputation

"

etc check out the links.

The best mailing list to ask is the rollei list.

MAJORDOMO@MEJAC.PALO-ALTO.CA.US

in the body of the email

"SUBSCRIBE rollei"

They are VERY knowledgable about all things Zeiss, and they include Marc James Small who maintains a database of every Zeiss lens made, when and where.

they regularly comment on all sorts of Zeiss matters(its only loosely a Rollei list) try searching the archives at http://www.digistar.com/rollei/search.html

boc

Hello all,
In a local shop I have found a CZ 20mm screw mount, made by Contax Jena DDR. Is it possible to get an adapter to modify it to MM mount? Can any one let me know about the optical quality?If you have used it or know any links which may lead me to see any picture taken with it.
Thanks.
Mohan

Back