DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Question Old DDR Jena Zeiss lenses Any good

Subject: Carl Zeiss 28-200mm Jena Lens

I am new to the forum and have this question: I saw this CZJ lens on ebay (item # 1372444583)

Someone on another Contax forum list said of this lens (and those like it)?

"This is not actually built by CZJ, however. It is a Japanese OEM'd lens. I think <name> had mentioned that the CZJ zooms were made by Sigma. In any case, CZJ never had tooling capability for zooms."

Can anyone please clarify, deny, or add to this statement?

Thank You,
Ron Myers
San Diego

I bought a Sonnar 2.8/180 back in the 1960'<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">• basically a 2 1/4 lens with an adapter to fit a 35mm camera, mine was for an Exakta. If you took off the adapter, it would fit a Praktisix II or similar camera. It's an excellent lens.

When I started as an active photographer circa 1960, I used Carl Zeiss lenses, on the Exakta, Rolleiflex {Planar 3.5/75, a great lens}, and later Praktisix II. This attachment to the Carl Zeiss name led me to using Contax Cameras about five years ago.

In talking about old Zeiss lenses, I have a Zeiss-Opton Sonnar 2/85 with red "T". It's for a classic Contax rangefinder type camera which I don't have yet, but it's on my wish list. Has anyone had any experience with this lens?

I seem to remember that I have a few old brochures and catalogs that show Carl Zeiss lenses, so I may come back with another message.

Terry

......> In talking about old Zeiss lenses, I have a Zeiss-Opton Sonnar 2/85 ......> with red "T". It's for a classic Contax rangefinder type camera which ......> I don't have yet, but it's on my wish list. Has anyone had any ......> experience with this lens?

It is a single coated lens made between the war and early 1950s This is a excellent lens, see.

http://www.host.fptoday.com/melek/zeiss/contax_iia.html

Why not try a Kiev 4 Contax copy? ~50 bucks on ebay. Seems a shame to leave it on the shelf. The cameras are not bad. The Russian lenses are variable, but you can get some gems for very little cost.

Does anybody know the CZ Jena lens 2,8-3,5/35-70 mm, which is currently for sale at Ebay Germany? Any good?

I brought a 200/2.8 Carl Zeiss Jena DDR about 1/3 the price of my 100/2.8 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar C-Y. To me it is huge(filter ring 77mm).There were two in the shop and I chose the one with less bubbles and less fungi in the lens, mine one has only one visible bubble and fungi visible under magnifying loupes but not to naked eye. I use a small ring to fit the M42 to my RX.
Although it is full of scratches,the image quality is the most important.I compare this lens with my CZ 100/2.8 makro Planar.I took portraits using studio flash with f8 in both lens. The photos are enlarged to 8X10. The images produce by these two lens have no significant difference in terms of clarity, but I noticed the colour saturation of the Jena lens is not as good as my makro-Planar.I also see through the lens with my naked eye and find out that the Jena lens produces colour sligthtly less saturated compared to makroPlanar and also my C-Y 85/1.4 Planar lens.
In conclusion,after paying 1/3 the price, I am owning a good 200/2.8.I am happy.
I have a question,could the diminished colour saturation be due to less than perfect lens material or because it is a 200 mm lens. Does all 200mm lens has this problem ?

I have a question,could the diminished colour saturation be due to >less than perfect lens material or because it is a 200 mm lens. Does >all 200mm lens has this problem ? its waisting time compairing a rollsroyce/mercedes to a only eatern-germany trabant-car. i have a fat 3 kg 135/1.5 t-mount lens with tripod-collar. its nice but i will never compaire it with my 85mm(both) and 135/2.8. shoot your portraits but do not complain if you have difficult light. i had the 180/2.8 sonnar with m-42-adapter. if light comes from back its worthless, only troublesome. i already have mentioned it here endless times: buy zeiss and win time and top-quality!

It is not wasting time to compare a rollsroyce/mercedes to a eatern -germany tradant car,if you find out that the latter has a comparable performance to the former. I am happy with the Jena lens.
I wrote the comparison because I wish others could read this,and have the idea of how good the Jena lens is. Perhaps,after reading my comparison,others might decide to buy the lens.To the consumers,it is important to know which is better and which is not and decide which to buy.To the lens manufacturers,it is important to know which is better and which is not,and decide which to keep.I learn more about my lens by comparing them,and decide to keep my Jena lens rather than to sale it. If someone doesn't compare lens,I do and a lot others do.
Although someone might have mention it here endless time,you have to test it yourself.
I am still left behind with my question,I will know the answer by finding out myself or someone might be able to answer it.

Hello,

Anyone with some interest in classic Contax/Zeiss lenses might have a thrill with some of these titles that are still available from my 'totally-out-of-space-now-summer-sale'.

Feel free to write me directly (jg@tdc-broadband.dk) and never hesitate to ask me whatever if in doubt.

Here we go:

'ZEISS IKON CAMERAS 1926-39' the whole story by D.B. Tubbs. Well written. Very informative. Richly illustrated. Hardback. 144 p. Hove Camera Foto Press 1980. Mint. EUR 15.

'DAS CONTAX REFLEX SYSTEM - RTS, 137Q, 139Q' by Heinz von Lichem. Cameras, lenses, accessories described and their use explained in detail. Richly illustrated. 206 p. Laterna Magica 1979. EUR 15.

'ZEISS IKON CONTAXPHOTOGRAPHIE'. Beautiful replica of original 116 p. handbook from Zeiss, 1938. Detailed descriptions and specifications of every camera, the already then impressive lens range etc. Richly illustrated. Mint. EUR 15.

'ZEISS IKON GENERAL CATALOGUE OF CAMERAS AND AMATEUR PHOTOGRAPHIC APPARATUS, ACCESSORIES AND SENSITIVE MATERIAL 1936'. Complete reprint of authentic 68 p. English Zeiss catalogue with detailed information on every item. Richly illustrated. Hove Foto Books. Mint. EUR 15.

'IHAGEE KAMERAS'. Photografic reprint of complete 32 p. impressive Zeiss-catalogue from 1939. All camera-models, all accessories included. Richly illustrated. EUR 10.

Kind regards,

Jakob

Regarding my 'totally-out-of-space-now-summer-sale' (I forgot):

DISCOUNT

Take any three titles and get the cheapest free.

Thanks,

Jakob

Back