DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Flash guns for Contax 11a

G

Has anyone any experience of a good flashgun that can connect through the 1366 cable to a rangefinder Contax 11a Black Dial ? Obviously it needs to have a PC connection somewhere. I have TLA200 and TLA140 for the Gs, and Metz 54MZ-3 for the N1, but nothing to work with the 11a's. All ideas appreciated.
TIA, Robin

You will need an "earlier" flashgun, one dating from the seventies or early eighties, e.g. a PHILIPS 38CT (I use it on my CONTAX IIIa)

> Hi there,

Thak you for your input. Can I assume though, that any older flashgun with a PC plug on the side would work with the 1366 cord ? There is a Sunpak that does not cost too much, compared to dedicated AF guns, and there is always the good old Vivitar 285, that seems to fit and work with absolutely any camera ever made...

Albest, Robin

Hi Robin,

I would say yes, any elctronic flashgun with a PC plug should work. But before bying, test it first with the 1366 cable plugged into your CONTAX IIa (the switch inside the 1366 cord might need to be cleaned or adjusted).
Good luck,

Carel Joncheere

> Hi Carel,

Thanks for the swift input - I shall now look for a small flashgun with Auto program and a PC connection. I will then still be better off than I was back in the 50's, trying to work out distances and guide numbers etc, by which time the subject had left the scene !

I have two 1366 cables, so I shall send off one to Henry Scherer with the next package.

You said you have a 111a ? Does the meter work ?

Albest, Robin

Hi Robin,

I purchased my IIIa in 1957 and used it a lot until 1972. I still use it occasionally ever since. The camera was CLA-ed in the early sixties, and the meter cell replaced. The meter still works OK (using double ASA numbers it agrees with my Weston Master).

Best regards,
Carel

> Hi Carel,

It was good of you to answer my query about the meter on your 11a. I have not beem tempted to get a 11a because of the meter problems, and rely on a new CV meter when I am "travelling light" with one 11a. Otherwise I use a Sekonic L-408, when I carrying the whole kit.

I never had an original Contax until last year. Back in 1956, I bought my first Nikon S2, and have been hooked on rangefinders ever since. I used the S2 plus another black paint body S2, plus a chrome SP with several lenses, but I had had to sell them whhile I was still in the Army - I was spending too much time as a photographer, and not enough time in concentrating on being a soldier ! I cannot afford to replace the Nikons, so I started collecting Kiev 4a's and some lenses. That in turn led to Contax 11a's from eBay, and now here I am using them again for everything except long lenses and closeups.

I really like the smoothness and feel of the excellent finish in these cameras from the 50's, and am enjoying going backwards in this digital age. I wish there was a more thriving section for these classic camera users, as the euipment is still so usable. Of course, you have to know and care what you are doing photographically to use them well, as the lack of automation prevents most people from being interested in them. This is the price of progress, I suppose. However, it makes the commercial aspects of Mr Kobayashi's new Nikon- and Contax-mount bodies an even braver venture, and the more appreciated by us old camera fans.

It's good to have some traffic on this part of the forum. Thanks.

Albest, Robin

Back