DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

CONTAX CY lenses on Canon EOS Bodies

K

ken

Hello,

I have waited and waited for so long but unfortunatley CONTAX has not come up with a decent digital camera, so I eventually bought a EOS MkII last week to fulfill my digital desire, thinking that I can use my C/Y lenses on it.

I have tried with some of my lenses and to my disappointment, some lenses cannot be mounted. Here is what I found:

Can Use:
D18, D28/2, T45, PC35, P50/1.4, VS28-85, VS70-210, VS100-300

Cannot Use:
P55/1.2, MP60/2.8, P85/1.2, P100/2, P135/2

The problem is due to the piece of metal sticking out at the back of the lens is too long and will hit the side of the mirror box inside the camera when mounting the lens and therefore preventing you to lock the lens securely on the camera.

Naturally, I am disappointed since I cannot couple my anniversary lenses to one of the best digital cameras available. Also, I don't have a fixed focal length lens covering the short/medium-tele range.

I really want to stick with Zeiss glass and try to avoid buying Canon, as I think the Zeiss optics are much superior. Yes, I can get a 85/1.4 but since I already have the 85/1.2, I will preferred to use the 85/1.2 instead if I can find a way to get around the problem.

Has anyone tried to have the metal piece filed (trimmed) down (probably by 1mm) so that it can fit the mount?

Has anyone ever tried using the C/Y lenses on Canon EOS body? If so, can you please share which lens can/cannot be used? I also have heard that the compatability varies with different EOS bodies.

Appreciate your advise! Cheers
happy.gif

Ken

Do a search on "Jorge" in the buy and sell forum of Fredmiranda.com . He's currently selling 500mm and 1000mm Zeiss mirotar lenses LOL !!

He makes various C/Y to Canon Eos adapters and should have the answers for you.

You have problems with P55/1.2, MP60/2.8, P85/1.2, P100/2, P135/2 !!
sad.gif

What adapter were you trying it with.

I have a lot of the lenses you say work, and they do.

What is this P 55 1.2? I'd love to know more about it. love bright lenses for manual focusing! some of these were on my "want" list and it never crossed my mind that there might be a prtoblem with posterior protrusions into the mirror area.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't use these lenses.

Asher

Asher,

I am using an adpator bought in a Hong Kong which I beleive is made in China with no brand name. To my surpirse, the quality is very good with secure and tight mounting onto the lens and body. Also, when removing the adaptor from the lens, the operation is very easy and smooth. This one costs about US$85. The other thing I like about this adaptor is that after the lens is mounted, the aperture index is aligned properly to the centre of the pentaprism just like how you use it on an CONTAX body. I have seen other adaptors will have the aperture index shifted to one side on the lens mount. It's more a cosmetic issue really but it's nice to have the aperture index properly positioned. I am also waiting for one that is made in Japan with shipment in early March. I would expect the Japanese version will be even better built.

The P55/1.2 is one of my beloved collection item. This was produced in 1996 in limited edition (only 1000 pieces produced as I read somewhere) to celebrate the Planar 100 years, which is engraved on the lens barrel. This lens is made in Germany, of MM type, quite heavy and with a filter size of 77mm and comes with its dedictaed hood. For some reason, this lens is so much more difficult to find than the other special edition lenses (P85/1.2 CONTAX 50 Years, P85/1.2 CONTAX 60 Years and the P135/2 CONTAX 60 Years). Over the past 5 years, I have only seen one for sale and I bought it. The price of this lens is quite high due to its scarcity, the superb build quality and the image quality that this lens produces. I think a minty condition one can fetch for over US$3.5k.

The performace (sharpness and contrast) of this lens is extraordninary and with an aperture value of f2 already exceeds that of a P85/1.4 at f5.6. Slight softness with extremely narrow depth of field at f1.2 but the effect are very pleasing (if you can get the subject in focus). It gives you have different feels with each aperture setting used, which I guess is a character of Zeiss lenses, but very well demonstrated with this lens.

I was thinking I was able to couple these Zeiss lenses with the 1D MkII thereby give me what to me a perfect combo.

Thanks for directing me to the website which I will take a look to see if there is anything interesting.

Cheers!
Ken

Planar 55 1.2 is the only lens of Zeiss without a proper MTF graph. Are you really sure that the performance of 55 1.2 at 2 exceeds 85 1.4 at 5.6 ?
Take the comparison of 85 1.4 and 85 1.2 for ex&le. 85 1.2 at 2 and almost as good as 85 1.4 at 2.8. These two lenses come up to performance matching each other at 4. At 5.6, they are the same. Ref:www.geocities.com/iprode
Take Leica asp M 50 1.4, its performance at 1.4 is better than M50 2 at 2 but not 2.8.
I really doubt that Zeiss would allow such a big performance difference that one lens at 2 is better than another at 5.6.
No matter what,you are the lucky guy who have tried the 55 1.2,how is it compared to Zeiss 60 2.8 or 50 1.4/1.7 ?

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the MM 85/1.4 and VS 35-135, as well as three DSLR Exchange CY/EOS adapters (and get another free!) for my 1DsII. I'll dump the 17-40/4 and 100/2 Canon lenses, and snatch 21/2.8 and 28/2.8 Distagons as soon as I can. I'll keep the 24-70 and 200 L lenses for now.

Yeah, that's the same 35-135 I traded in with the RTS-III when I got my ND almost three years ago, knowing full well I could trust Contax with my digital future - DOH! ... well, hopefully not the very same one
biggrin.gif

Hi DJ,
Good luck with those, sounds pretty good. Where did you get the adapters as a matter of interest?
John

Chi, take Ken's word for it. The 55/1.2 is in a league of it's own. That lens and the Zeiss 85/1.2 are among the finest fast aperture lenses ever made by anyone, ever. I owned the 85/1.2 and worked with a pro that used the 55/1.2. That lens is unsurpassed IMHO. If I recall correctly, Zeiss lost bundles of money on both those lenses due to cost of production and quality control being beyond what anyone would ever pay ( a labor of love?)

DJ, best of luck with your Contax on Canon choices. And good luck finding the 21/2.8. It's become a rare bird these days. The 35-135 is quite a beast, but very good for such a long throw zoom ... focuses pretty close also if I remember correctly. Do order up the split focusing screens for the 1DsMKII. I have mine coming next week for both 1D series cameras ... along with a Hasselblad to Canon EOS adapter, which will allow me to use my Zeiss F 110/2 as well as all the V lenses like the 100/3.5 & 180/4. The real blessing is that giant Canon EOS mount.

John, I ordered from http://dslrexchange.com . And now Adaorama tells me that even though they weren't indicated as out of stock, the two lenses are indeed out of stock, so I cancelled that order. Back to looking and waiting for something to fill my new mounts, which of course were in stock
sad.gif
. Nothing worse than the itch you can't scratch
biggrin.gif
Oh, well. Let's see what happens.

Thanks DJ. I have had a quick look at that site and see the adapters. I shall read up on them. The new 350D looks interesting and might be good to put them on.
Bad luck about the lenses; how fustrating.
sad.gif
I hope you find them again soon.

Back