DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

CONTAX CY lenses on Canon EOS Bodies

Hey DJ, I've got one for you. A real Zeiss must have for your 1DsMkII.

For the first time I got my mits on a Zeiss/German 70-210/3.5 zoom and shot with it this weekend. Un-friging-believable !!!

I had heard about this lens before, but never shot with one. Well, it's like no other long zoom I've ever used. A true Zeiss masterpiece, (but unfortunately at a masterpiece price).

So, before shelling out those prices, I ran a test against my Canon 70-200/2.8L IS. Obviously, the Canon is easier to use, faster focusing and has Image Stabilization, but that was it. The Zeiss Zoom was superior in every way concerning the image itself. Richer color, better bokeh (which is very good on the Canon BTW), and because the Zeiss has a Macro mode, it focuses a lot closer ( like down to a couple inches away) I can fill the frame with an eyeball. Which will be great for head shots and closer.

Well, much water under the bridge since my last post in this particular thread, as you well know. After the several discusions here and in FM, one dumb fubb on ebay trying to get a reasonably priced CZ super-wide, i.e. the 18, and contemplating the Leica 21-35, I bid on an 18 from Italy. Just then a mint Leica 19, reputed to be in the same zone as the CZ 21, goes on sale for $2200.

Now I'm hoping somebody else goes and outbids me on the CZ 18 and I'm out of there, except the one time I hope somebody else wins, I'm the only bidder! So, I have what I hope is an excellent condition 18 on its way from the shores of Italy ... even if not in the same league as the CZ 21 & L 19, it can't possibly be worse than the 17-40L I got rid of. I hope!

Marc, my problem with the 70-210 is that I have the 85, 135 & 180, (not to mention the EOS 200 which I'll get rid of eventually) and I don't shoot that often above 85. I'd probably get the 100/2 before that, but I doubt it since I have the 85 & 135 ...

BTW, I used the 35-70 macro mode yesterday for the first time - very nice! I need to post some stuff
happy.gif

OK, how do you keep track of which lens / which shot, since there's no lens EXIF info with the CZ lenses? Here's what I started doing with my 1DsII.

Every time I change the lens I use the audio recording feature on the last image stating the new lens. It's fairly painless. I don't annotate every shot's f-stop, though.

At first I thought I would only be able to hear it off the Canon Viewer, but it actually creates a separate WAV file with the same file name, different extension. However, the EOS Viewer has proved the easiest way to transcribe it so far - you can click the audio icon to hear it, then enter an EXIF user comment quickly right into the CR2 file using a text box at the bottom right corner of the window. Thank you, Canon! This is the only way I've found to get it on the actual raw file. I wish ACR / Bridge would do that.

The WAV files I've created are between 15KB-40KB, nothing to even take into consideration unless you plan to recite a poem with each image ... the audio is very clear and you can speak fairly quietly. I was surprised at the quality.

DJ - There is another L19 for sale on ebay in the US... currently at $687.00 (reserve not met) with 2 days left if you are interested. I'm not sure if im supposed to post links to eBay on here or not, so I suggest doing a search for "LEICA ELMARIT-R 19MM F/2.8 LENS. MINT W/BOX" its being sold by "Icfrey".

Antony
happy.gif

Marc, I hope you're not exaggerating on that 70-210mm f3.5...

I've been looking out for one for a long time now, and by bizarre coincidence after reading your post today, one came up on eprey on a buy it now: so I did!

I'm really looking forward to trying it now; I've also got the Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS and that is one superb lens, so if this beats it I'll be totally stoked.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?

Cheers,
Matt

$2,000. I tracked this lens for a long time and it's kinda rare, so most sold for more than that (usually around $2,500). Maybe you'll get lucky and snag it for a lot less.

Whatever, it's worth it.

Well, this one was slightly less but it has a small ding in the filter ring, so the price seems about right.
Should hopefully be easier to focus than the f5.6 darkness of the 100-300mm.

Cheers,
Matt

Antony, thanks for the heads-up but the Gods of Light and Shadow have declared through various events and circumstances that I get this CZ 18 from Italy.

Me being the only bidder I was not able to be outbidded, so for the time being I'm done searching for a super-wide and will need to run this dude through its paces when it gets here, hoping it will out-do the 17-40L I so did not like. Let's see how this ends ...

Cheers!

Good luck with it. I have an 18 and I love it, although I don't have the 21mm Distagon that everyone raves about. I use it more than any other of my C/Y lenses. I got it from California about 18 months ago for $750.

Alex

DJ, you shouldn't limit yourself to just a mathematical progression of lenses my friend. While quite logical, it eliminates those special things Zeiss has put out over the years that produce images unequalled by anything produced today.

My mentor in NYC, has pointed out special glass that few if any manufacturer could afford to produce now. The Contax 28/2 is his current recommendation if you can even find one. He told me that no one could make this lens today.

My dealer in NY is trying to get a Leica 28-90/2.8-4.5 ASPH Zoom for me to try on the 1DsMKII. This lens is very expensive, so I want to try it before committing so much capital. I would be testing it against the Zeiss 28-85/3.3-4 zoom I already have.

If the lens performs better than the Contax, I may even consider the R9 and new Leica Module and sell off my Canon 1DMKII.

Marc,

I am very curious about this lens, as I would like to buy one for my 1Ds2 as well. Would you mind letting me know how it works out.

Thanks

Andy

Back