DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

L bracket for the SD14

wayne2

I have used L brackets for my E-3 to make it faster to move from horizontal to vertical when using a tripod. My current setup includes the Velbon 540 carbon fiber tripod with a Velbon ball head modified with a Kirk Arca style quick release. I have been using a universal flat plate with the SD14, but it really slows me down.

Since no one makes a custom Arca style L-bracket, I was all set to modify one from a Canon 5D (move the locating pin and grind off the locating lip). I decided to give the universal MC-L L bracket from Really Right Stuff before I ruin a new Canon 5D custom bracket. The MC-L works! There is even a ridge on the back side to keep the plate from rotating. This is a quality plate and it is less expensive than the custom ones ($109 vs $149).

This is a great tool to move from horizontal to vertical quickly and easily. If you have not tried an L bracket, find some one who has one and try their setup - you will want one for yourself.

Wayne

PS If you have other cameras, this bracket my work for those as well. RRS has a pdf file with dimensions on it so you can get a pretty good idea if it will fit.

Back