DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

Jeff

I am soooo happy for you!!! On opening your long awaited birthday present. Over the weekend, enough of my 2002 work began coming in so I will be able to perhaps get my M-6 off of lay away by the end of May. However, I still have to get the $ for a lens. ENJOY
happy.gif

Cathy in Atlanta

Cathy, thank you for the kind words about my new M6. Now for questions for the experts. I'm trying to get my hands to "work" on this camera.

What technique do you experienced M6 users use..Hold with right hand and run focus with? and rotate aperature wheel with? I feel fiddle fingered!!
thanks in advance!
Jeff in Colorado

Jeff, Glad you got to open your present.
I hold it with my right hand, cradle the base of the camera with the heel of my left hand, and depending on the lens,either use my thumb and middle finger to focus and index finger for the aperture, or thumb and index finger, with middle finger for aperture . One can be very quick! Colin

Dear Jeff

Oh my, you bring back memories of my first experiences with Ms, a long time ago now. I cradel the camera in my left hand. The weight is mostly taken by the left hand. The right hand is used to steady the camera with the first finger ready for the shutter button and thumb ready for quick wind on. This keeps your fucussing hand from getting in the way of the VF window.

For 50mm and longer lenses focussing is done with the thumb and and first finger, as is operation of the ap. ring. With wider lenses which have the knob thingy for focussing I use the middle finger for focus and thumb for ap. ring. It all depends on the size of your hands and what is comfortable for you. Hope this helps.

I'd like to thankyou for sharing your storey and enthusiasm with us, it has been a real joy. Personally I have to use Leicas for work because I'm too dumb to operate an EOS or F5. And its nice to be reminded how lucky I am to use such nice equipment.

Post those results on the gallery pages soon, and keep letting us know how its going!!! Happy image making. Now the M6 is out of the box you are an IMAGE-MAKER as opposed to someone who just takes pictures or snaps (said with tongue in cheak)

Many happy snaps (sorry, image-making)

craig

Colin and Craig..
THANKS for the tips.. I'll get home tonite and try your methods..I figured that there was some logical way to run the camera. Thanks for the expert advice!
Jeff in Colorado

Now for questions for the experts. I'm trying to get my hands to "work" on this camera.

What technique do you experienced M6 users use..Hold with right hand and run focus with? and rotate aperature wheel with? I feel fiddle fingered!! thanks in advance! Jeff in Colorado =====================================================

Jeff,

Check several of the available sources and buy some of the many user's guides or manuals on the M series cameras. You will find there a wealth of information about technique and practical application. More than there is space or time for here. The last decition of "The Leica Manual" is excellent and one of the later books specific to your "new" camera will fill in the remaining details.

jeff

I suspect the refernces suggested by Photo Phreak will only get you so far, but they are a good starting point. Every M photographer has their own little technque based on good camera practice. The trick is to keep your hands away from the VF and RF patch windows. Remember to keep your elbows poining downward and your fingers then tend to fall into the right place on the lens and body. The Range Finder camera design actually forces you to hold a 35mm camera correctly.

However, I suspect you are well on the way to being more comfortable with the M6's use by now. I still can't beleive that you didn't raid the box before your birthday. Life must have been intollerable.

Hope all is going well, craig

Craig and Photo Phreak,
Thanks for the tips.. Craig, your tip about keeping my elbows down helped the most. It puts my hand in a better position to run the aperature and focus. STILL working on getting the feel to be automatic. Do they make a 35 fsf lens? (Fat stubby fingers)
Thanks again!
Jeff in colorado

yes Jeff

It's called the Summilux ASPH and it costs a lot of money. However, you are in very good company, some of the worlds best photographers had and still have SSF. That's why they don't play the piano. The scale of some of the M lenses can take a little while to get used to. Just burn film, or even practice without making an exposure.

craig

Back