DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax flash

When I use my TLA360 directly on the hotshoe socket of my 167MT, everything works fine. When I try to use it on my (Contax original) extension cable it doesn't even light up the green "lightning" symbol in the viewfinder. Anyone else have this problem or do I have a faulty camera/flashgun/cable?

Regards,

Allan

Does anyone know if it's safe to use a Yashica CS-140 flash on a 139Q?

Thanks, Dave

So...I have seen several pictures of the TLA480 on Ebay lately. None of the connectors have 5 pins. Seems bizarre to me. Apparently the timing of the 480 was to support the RTSIII which only had 3 pins. But every model since then uses the full 5 pins for flash compensation etc.

Why would Contax continue to introduce bodies such as the N system and 645 with 5 pins and not update their flash system ? Are they dropping the TLA480 or relinquishing the market to Metz ?

Seems strange to me. Any thoughts ?

Alan

Different question here, I have an RX and when I put the TLA30 on it in AP mode it syncs in the viewfinder at 1/60. If I use manual mode it syncs at 1/125. Is there a problem?
Happy CHRISTmas to you all.
Paul

It sounds like the ambient light needs the 1/60 shutter speed. While in AP mode, take it outdoors and see if it chooses 1/250. You could go to manual mode and set it at 1/250 and get good results. I have done this at a night concert, approximately 45' from the stage.

Ron in NM

Hi Ron, Thanks for the awift reply. Unfortunately it is night time here at the moment so I wil wait until daylight and check your sugestion out. I have never tried setting 1/250 as I thought that it would leave unexposed areas of the film?

Many thanks
Paul in Liverpool UK

The RX can sync at 1/60, 1/125, or 1/250. I use the '250 shutter speed when there is action in a scene that requires flash. In almost every typical flash situation using AP, the camera will choose one of the lower two shutter speeds. I suspect at 1/250, the flash is really putting on the burst.

Ron in NM, USA

WOW!, 1/250 that is a nice bonus as my RX brochures only said 1/125 or slower. I haven't got a manual for it yet. It is a very easy camera to use. I must get a manual to find out some more 'secrets'
Thanks again.

Paul

Paul,

I think I might have too many Contax cameras-is that possible? There is a chance that I have gotten confused, thinking about sync speeds on my RTS III. In any case, the pricipal is the same-you can manually set for the faster shutter speed for action photos that need flash. Now I will have to dig the manuals out when I get home... ;~)

Back