DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax flash

>>> I suspect at 1/250, the flash is really putting on the burst. <<<

The shutter speed doesn't affect the flash exposure. The flash burst is so brief, typically less than 1/2000th of a second, and therefore the flash exposure on the film is controlled only by the aperture. So choosing a faster shutter does not require more output from the flash, since the flash burst is already finished long before the shutter closes.

The selection of the shutter speed then only determines the ambient light exposure on the film. If you want the flash to be the main light, with little or no ambient light visible in the image, then select a fast shutter. If you want the flash to be "balanced" with the ambient light in the image, then choose a slower shutter that will give a proper exposure of the ambient light at the aperture that was set for the flash.

>>> The RX can sync at 1/60, 1/125, or 1/250. <<<

SLRs with focal plane shutters, like the RX, can sync the flash at any shutter speed equal to or slower than the maximum sync speed. Therefore 1/30, 1/4, 1/90, and all other shutter speeds less than or equal to 1/125 are usable with the flash.

My advice is to use manual mode for flash exposures. It's the only way to have complete control of the flash exposure and the ambient exposure at the same time.

I am using a Contax 139Q and a Yashica Automatic CS221 which have three pins. Question.? when using with flash ? can I use it on AE( apeture priority mode) mode or should I use it on manual mode ? I am so confused with the use of flash as I dont have a manual for the flash ;-(

BTW Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of You . May all of you be well and happy

Hello all,

I am interested in using my RX with 2 flash guns and TTL metering for macro photography.
I have the TLA380 and the off camera cord (TLA extension cord 100) that goes into the bottom of the flash unit.
Can anyone tell me if I can simply buy the 100SS cable that fits into the side of the flash, connect the first flash
via my existing cord to the camera, and use the 100SS to connect the two flashes together,
or do I need to get the extension cord S, multiconnector and 2 100SS cords?

Also, I have noticed that jessops in the UK is selling a contax TVS digital - does anyone have any details on this?
(The jessops catalogue says its 5 mpixels, 3 times optical zoom, and about the same price as a TVS3)

Thanks for any assistance,

Hugh

Does anyone know where I can get a battery cover for TLA30. Mine is cracked and about to go. Contax has ho parts.
Thanks,
Bob

Thanks,
In Arabia, where I live, Contax repairmen are very scarce.
Bob

>>Originally Posted on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 4:13 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone know if it's safe to use a Yashica CS-140 flash on a 139Q?

Thanks, Dave<<
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me throw this one out again...

I'm looking for a small TTL capable flash for my 139Q and possibly an RX. Periodically, Ebay has the Yashica CS-140 unit available for next to nothing and this unit would be perfect. I think this was designed for the later Yashica AF models. It is TTL capable.

I found the following comment regarding the CS-140:

"If you insist on using your rechargeable or alkaline cells for a trip, some alternative such as the Yashica CS-140 may provide a better option. The flash has even provided with a Tilt-up pentagonal head, a guide Number: 14(ISO 100 meter) or 44 (ISO 100 feet) and provides Manual and CPU-matic flash operations for both Yashica/Contax bodies (it can also be used with any camera brand in manual mode); the flash covers angular fields of standard wideangle of 35mm lenses; and uses 2 x 1.5V AA size batteries and a number of about 300 flashes with alkaline-manganese and about 100 with manganese batteries; Dimensions:42.0x30.5x94.5 mm; Weight: 65g (without batteries). It is a cute little flash that allows high mobility. This compact flash unit has been discontinued."

(http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/contax/shared/flash/index1.htm)

Anyone have experience with this little flash on a Contax? Do the 139 & RX models support CPU-matic flash control?

TIA,
Dave

Speaking of Metz, I have the SCA380 adapter and no matter how much I tighten it the flash keeps on falling off the hot shoe. Am I the only one with this problem ? If not, I am going to auction the flash and the module on eBay. Thanks !

I want to know the difference between SCA 382 and SCA 3802 when used with AX. I presume sca 382 can be used with yashica in ttl mode also and 3802 is only compatible with latest contax and expensive too. Is it not possible to have the same function with SCA 382 on AX? Secondly with SCA 3802 is power zoom possible with AX?

[The differences between the SCA 382 and SCA 3802 are:

* The 3802 has a 5-pin contact that allows the flash to read the film speed, lens f-stop, (shutter speed - I think), from the camera, which means that the flash can take over a pseudo-ttl function from the camera (ie flash works in auto mode without having to dial/key-in the info). Never used it this way as Contax ttl flash is very accurate but this functionality is useful because the Metz 40mz3i will show you the useful range (min to max distance) of the flash, for your particular film speed and f-stop. There is a minimum range for TTL flash, as being too close to the subject does not allow the camera enough time to switch off the flash.

* The 3802 also allows you to perform exposure compensation on the flash unit in 1/3 stop increments.

* Both the 382 and 2802 have 2nd curtain sync

* The 382 has 3 pins and works fine for most flash photography needs. 1 pin is the hot-shoe, another is the flash ready light, the 3rd is the ttl flash contact

* The Metz zoom function can only be used manually. No lens focal length data is transmitted for either 382 or 3802

The usability of the 382 and 3802 in terms for ttl flash photos is the same. but i find the 3802 mounts better on the AX and RX because of a pin that hooks on to the cameras hot-shoe, something the 382 doesn't have.

From my experience, using the 382 on a 5-pin hotshoe (like AX), the heavy Metz flash tends to move and there were occassions when the flash fired, but the TTL did not wok because the contact was lost. The center hot shoe contact is much bigger and has room for movement, the smaller contacts don't and lose contact when moved slightly.

I've used the 382, on the newer Contaxs with only the occasional issues noted above. But I guess this is easily solved by being more careful when tightening the flash to hotshoe.

The 3802 also works on the older 3-pin Contax and Yashica models. No ill effects as the extra 2-pin on the flash only meet plastic on the camera's hot shoe.

Hope this helps ]

Back