DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Film recomendations which film should i use

Kodakchrome 64 and 200 are still available in 135 at least:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/films/catalog/kodachrome64ProfessionalFilmPKR.jhtml?id=0.3.8.8.12.5 .8&lc=en

Regarding the difference between XP2 and Portra BW (or T400CN which is very similar) I think it is a key point that XP2 has a very softly curved shoulder which makes it very hard to block up the highlights even with very major overexposure. ISTR that Ilford state that it can be exposed anywhere between 100 and 800 without any change in processing, although I wouldn't fancy trying to get decent scans off it at 100 as it will be very dense.

-= mike =-

I am going to do a volunteer photo shoot of our local theater group this coming weekend. They will have all of their stage lights on, and they are supplying a roll of tungsten balanced transparency film. I am not to use flash, but I don't think that will be a problem. The question I pose to you all is would a warming filter (812) be desirable? Or is that a bad idea considering the lighting and the fact that it is tungsten balanced film?

Ron in New Mexico

> Ron, The answer to your question depends entirely upon the color temerature of the stage lights. Assuming that you do not have a color meter, trial and error might be your next best choice. Or, if there is no time for testing, try some shots with filtration and some without. Good luck, sounds like fun!

Doug

Ron I'm sure you'll get better replies than mine - but - have you thought about buying a cheap test roll of slide film (anything really) and making a very quick test before the theater people are all dressed up and ready to go? It's unlikely you have a color meter - who of us does if we're not in a dedicated studio? If you could get there a day ahead of time to do this, that would help you see what sort of color shifts their stage lights might be giving you. Each light might have a different balance. Theater lights are not necessarily balanced for film of any kind - since their intent is for nake eye viewing. If it were me, I'd want to know what I'm dealing with first before I let anyone see me sweat over the fear of what will be recorded on film. You might want to know too what sort of speeds you'll be shooting at - given that you don't have use of a flash to compensate. I realize you're doing this free of charge, but even so, I would imagine you're concerned with looking good and keeping up your reputation for creating good shots
happy.gif
I hope this helps somewhat. -Lynn

Thanks Lynn, and Douglas. I have an email in to the production = manager now to see if someone there can tell me what the color = temperature is. It is not an option to arrive a day or two beforehand = and take practice shots. I'll keep you posted, and especially after I = see the transparencies!

Ron in New Mexico

Ron,
Since it's a stage production, stage lighting, colored gels on the cans, get a couple of rolls of daylight, too. The shots may come out surprisingly well. Tungsten balancing is for white photofloods. You'll be surprised at how many you'll take, especially if you bracket. There's a lot more latitude with print film, so bracketing wouldn't be as necessary. But your shooting slide...... Your shutter speeds may surprise you...They ain't going to be pretty.
Try and get insurance shots in a dress rehersal, where you can be on stage, nice and close, ask the actors to pose and use a monopod or tripod.
Good Luck with your project!!
Joe W

Ron,
Get a roll of fast print film, Fuji 1600 or whatever. No filters. It just may save your day..

Ron:

I hope you can do a test run as Lynn suggests.

According to Kodak Professional Reference Dataguide using tungsten film 160 or 320 rated for 3200 K tungsten light and you encounter 3400 K Photo L& use 81A filter and correct the film speed. to 125 for 160 and 250 for 320 and of course correcting for reciprocity for 1 and 10 second exposures.

Also publication E103RF at

www.kodak.com/go/professional

may be helpful. or call 1-800-295-5531

Good Luck
Gilbert

Update!!!

My volunteer photo shoot of the theater cast went very well! You may recall that I was concerned about the lighting and whether or not tungsten balanced film was really the right choice. Well, the production manager handed me two rolls of Kodak 320T and I set up on a monopod with the RTS III and the VS-80-200. They turned all of the stage lights on, and sure enough, even with ISO 320, I was stuck with a low shutter speed. Fortunately, this session was set up to be right after a show and the director had some scenes already planned. The cast would get into a pose and then hold it, until I told them I got it, and as you might imagine, they were all very good at holding very still. Anyway, to get right to the point, the transparencies came out very well, with no color shift at all. I sure do apprecaiate all of the input from Gilbert, Joe, Lynn, and Doug.

What a great forum! One would have to be asleep to not realize that we all learn from one another and that this forum is one of the best learning aids ever invented!

Ron in New Mexico

So glad to hear your good news, Ron! Thanks for letting us know the outcome. I agree with you about this forum - I learn so much here. I recently checked out other photo forums on line, but the people here at Contaxinfo seem so much friendlier and helpful to me. (No this is not a paid advertisement .. haha) Again, great to hear your news
happy.gif
-Lynn L.

Back