DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Please explain difference between AE and MM lenses

> I can use "P" mode on my 159MM with AE lens, but not the "HP" and "LP"> mode.

I would be cautious if you are doing this - I seem to remember that when the MM lenses were introduced the aperture blades had been redesigned and greatly lightened to allow for the fast movement and relatively delicate mechanisms moving the blades . The heavier and "slower" AE blades may damage your camera. Steve

Hi all,
Here is another query!
I use some Yashica ML and Tamron lenses that have far lighter diaphragms (far less effort on the diaphragm levers) than my AE Zeiss ones. I wonder if they could me used in the MM modes? I haven't tried them. I might run a roll off and let you know, and there again I might not!;) I'm quite happy with manual and Av.

Paul
happy.gif

> I use some Yashica ML and Tamron lenses that have far lighter> diaphragms (far less effort on the diaphragm levers) than my AE Zeiss> ones. I wonder if they could me used in the MM modes? I haven't tried > them.

I dont really know , but I'd treat the Yashica's as AE for all intents and purposes - The Tamrons maybe different as they did introduce a MM adaptall mount subsequent to the AE . The lens designs surely havent changed , so maybe one could use either one without too much problem . Personally I only ever use Manual really , so its not an issue in my life . Steve

[I've long heard that only MM lenses can be used in P mode, and the logic given by Contax about the lighter blades makes sense.

My question is, why can the Yashica FX-103, MP 107, 108 & 109 use AE lenses in P mode? ]

My understanding as to the difference between MM and AE lenses is the MM lenses will "work" with shutter priority, which requires the camera body to reliably move the aperture. The MM lenses have a lighter/easier/faster to move aperture mechanism, which means the body doesn't have to "struggle" to move the aperture into position quickly.

My guess is some AE lenses may work in shutter priority mode, and up to some aperture (like up to 5.6, but not beyond), but not all, and they probably aren't doing the camera any favors... Remember, the aperture has to be selected before the shutter opens, and the AE lenses may not allow that to happen fast enough.

Austin

[Hi Austin,

I have been told that the Camera manual for these cameras also do not ask for MM lenses. C deGroots website also confirms what I've been told.

Camera wear is besides the point, there has speculation on the list has been that the heavier AE blades will not allow the apature to close down properly before the shutter is opened; and cause damage because of the heavier force of the blades snapping closed - all fine.

But the question remains: why are the Yashica's designed to work with AE lenses, but not Contax? ]

> But the question remains: why are the Yashica's designed to work with > AE lenses, but not Contax? ]

The Contax cameras ARE designed to work with the AE lenses, just not in Shutter Priority (and Program) modes. So, given that, ARE the Yashica cameras actually designed to work with them, does it say that in the manual, or on some spec sheet? I'd like to see that if you could point me to it.

Thanks,

Austin

[Austin, I posted a question to get an answer. You have taken my comments & questions out of context and started to query the basis of my initial question. That is not helpful.

Yes, I am sure that the Yashica FX 103 can use AE lenses in P mode. The manual simply says that the camera will work in P mode and it does NOT ask for special MM lenses. Of course, it does not say something like "MM lenses not required". For your quick reference, you can check what is said at www.cdegroot.com review of the FX-103.

I would like to hear from other list members who may be familiar with this body on why it is able to use AE lenses in P mode.]

> [Austin, I posted a question to get an answer. You have taken my > comments & questions out of context and started to query the basis of > my initial question. That is not helpful. > > Yes, I am sure that the Yashica FX 103 can use AE lenses in P mode. > The manual simply says that the camera will work in P mode and it does > NOT ask for special MM lenses. Of course, it does not say something > like "MM lenses not required". For your quick reference, you can check > what is said at www.cdegroot.com review of the FX-103. > > I would like to hear from other list members who may be familiar with > this body on why it is able to use AE lenses in P mode.]

But by your own admission, it does not SAY it can use Contax/Zeiss AE lenses, and as I said, the Contax bodies can use them in P mode, just not reliably. You also haven't established that they work reliably on the Yashica bodies...perhaps Yashica only wrote that for Yashica lenses? I really don't know...but they also didn't say they don't work with Nikon lenses either... Is there a copy of the maual on-line?

Austin

Back