DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax lens shade fits Schneider PClens

G

This is a message to the very few Contax users who plan to buy a Schneider Kreuznach 2,8/28 PC lens & are shocked by the price of the matching lens shade + filter holder (22 Euro, US-$) I found out that you can use the Contax adapter 70-86 + Contax metal hood 2 , with which takes 86mm fiilters without any vignetting.

Sorry, two corrections. The price of the Schneider gear is 300 US-$, the matching Contax metal hood is Nr. 1.

i am shocked that people who buy the best pc-lens in the world can be shocked spending 20 more usd.. maybe it was meant ironious.

for this price you could buy an arsat 35/2.8 pc/shift of PC/shift+tilt. and they are good lenses. go to hartblei.com and arsenal-photo.com in nurnberg. there are other suppliers(check google).

I have a 28mm Schneider Super Angulon PC. It is a nice lens. I bought mine in used in mint condition. It is the Leica model. I bought A Contax adapter from B&H. I also have a 35mm Zeiss PC Distagon.
The Zeiss lens out performs the Schneider. I only use the Schneider when the extra angle of view is necessary. Calling the Schneider the best PC lens made does not agree with my experience. It is however a much less expensive lens than the PC Distagon; therefore, one should not be surprised that the Zeiss is superior.

Thanks for your observations on the Schneider PC vs Zeiss PC Distagon. Does this Schneider Super-Angulon 28mm PC lens use a "T" adapter to fit any SLR? Would you say the 35mm Zeiss PC Distagon is sharper, has better color, or in what way is it better?

The lens does not use a regular T adapter as far as I know. B&h among others offers adapters for several different cameras the this lens. The adapter price is $148.50. The distagon has less distortion. It has better MTF characteristics across the field. It has a sturdier mount and a more sophisticated optical design. There is less fall off of illumination at the edges of the field particularly when the lens is fully shifted. The Distagon full field of view is slightly wider than that of a 25mm lens. The Super Angulon field of view is wider than a 21mm lens. The Distagon is better wide open and offers really excellent performance @ 5.6. The Super Angulon very nice performance but never reaches this plateau as far as the two lenses I own are concerned. I use the Super Angulon for A). Its wider field of view when spaces are cr&ed. B ). the view point is better for the area covered (perspective) by working closer. C). the 'looming' or pulling items towards the corners or changing the shapes accomplishes what I desire in a photograph (the more the lens is shifted the more apparent this is).

Back