DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Yashica Lenses vs Zeiss lenses

G

Someone was telling me he suspects that Yashica lenses are the ones that came off the Zeiss production line that did not make the standards to be called a Zeiss lense and were rebranded as a Yashica. He suspects this why some appearing as Yashica lenses have superb characteristics while others are of lesser quality.

This all sounds like bizarre hypothetical idea, so you comments would be appreciated.

Stuart

It is not true. The lenses are all mechanically different, have a different type of coating (some even don't have any!) and have different Painting on them. Not to mention that quite some of them have simply slightly different data like 24/2,8. There is no 24mm Zeiss lense e.g.

An number of people however claimed, that some of the Yashica lenses have been designed by the same Persons who where involved in designing similar Zeiss lenses and the fact that Kyocera manufactured the Zeiss lenses as well allowed them to do some technology-transfer to improve their Yashica lens densigns.

Mike

Dear All,

I have a Yashica ML 2,8/135 for many years. Once I had the idea to upgrade for a CZ 2,8/135 but after a few roll of films I had to realise that it's not better at all than my ML lens but much bigger further on the closest distance is even worth what is particulary a disadvantage for me because I like to take close-ups. That cannot be an exeption because I took surprisingly good quality images with the ML 2,8/15 Fisheye and the ML 8/500 Mirror. And what is really a concern of comparison the colors of the Yashica lenses are also similar. It's true that there are also lower quality Yashica lenses (3,5-5,6/28-200) but the price reflects it. It wuold be usefull for all to share the experiences with Yashica lenses.

Zoltán

Hi Zoltan,

I am sorry but I have to entirely disagree with you.

I was Yashica user because I had no money while I was a student. Once I used the very first lens of CZ 70-210mm. I find no reason to stick on Yashica except financial reason. (P.S. some ML lens are good indeed.)

You may look at the sharpness, color reproduction, the out of focus effect,......etc. You should find out the big difference even on 3R.

This is not a bias comment from a Contaxian but it is true.

Francis.

I currently own several Yashica ML lenses:

15mm 2.8 Fisheye - ebay
24mm 2.8 - original owner
55mm 2.8 Macro - original owner

The 15mm is really a nice lens. It was a rare eBay pickup and it's not in pristine condition, but it still creates very unique and sharp images. Well worth having.

The 24mm has a good reputation from what I've read. But while I like the 24mm perspective, I have never been overwhelmed with the sharpness of this lens. Others say just the opposite so maybe I have a less than perfect ex&le.

The 55mm macro is a very sharp 1:2 macro. I purchased this lens for <$100 from a photo shop that was clearing Yashica lenses and it's one of my favorite lenses.

I also have a 75-200 4.5 MC zoom that is very average. I don't use this focal length very often but it's a good $100 lens.

FWIW..The story I was told years ago (by a camera store guy who had no reason to fabricate a story) was that the glass used for Yashica lenses was rejected Zeiss glass. Not quite up to Zeiss standards but certainly not soda bottle glass. I might believe that for the 15mm or the 55mm, but not the 24mm.

As far a general construction however, the Yashica lenses I've seen have all been *very* well made using substantial metal barrels and components. I cannot fault their build quality in any way.

> > all to share the experiences with Yashica lenses.<

The Yashica lenses that I have (ML28, ML50 1.4, ML 135) I like. I have Zeiss duplicates for work, but take the Yashica stuff on holiday on one of my old FR's or FX-3. That way I can have good photos and it wouldn't seem like the end of the world if it was stolen. Jeff

> [I think you'd be better off taking your CZ lenses and a Glock 45 to safeguard your lenses! Let's start terminating some of these thieves.

I've used the Yashica 50mm2.0, 35-105 dsb, 35-105ML and the 100 macro. The DSB 35-105 is not such a sharp lens, while I feel that the ML version of this lens is really quite nice. It is sharp with nice contrast and good color rendition. The ML 100 macro gives 2 to 1 ratio or half life size. This is to me, a very good lens and it can double as a portrate lens. Now I have never used a loupe to check the negs for sharpness from corner to corner, so I won't argue with anyone that says Zeiss lenses are much sharper, of course they are or should be. I look at a photograph for its beauty, its effectiveness, its over all quality. I've never tried to ascertain the beauty of a photograph by use of a loupe.

(If this post appears twice, I apologize. I have trouble getting my messages through sometimes)

Back in about 1986 when I went away to school my meager budget let me buy the following:
Yashica FX-103,
Ziess AE 50/1.7,
Yashica ML 100-300/5.6
Yashica x2 Auto Tele Converter
Yashica CS-221 Auto Flash

Sometime in the 90's I traded most all of this gear to my brother. He still has it all, but stopped using it some years ago when he killed the FX-103 body (meter just flashes 'over' constantly, and the body leather all peeled off). Now that I've been reading about your reviews of the Yashica gear this morning, I'm tempted to buy back my old gear from my brother (less the body).

Would the Yashica gear all function on an Aria? Would they function like any AE Zeiss lens? Or would a different body be more suited (which one if I want at least a spot meter option?)

Any insight into the usefulness of these pieces would be appreciated. And also what might be a fair price to offer for them. It has been well over 10 years since I've used these items and can't remember too much about them. (Except of course the zeiss ae 50/1.7 which I adored as my first lens and still do!)

Thanks!
Lynn

Lynn,

"If this post appears twice, I apologize. I have trouble getting my messages through sometimes"

there is always a delay of messages appearing in the forum when they have been send via e-mail and/or as e-mail in your inbox. This delay is between 1 and maximum 5 minutes. The reason for this is the amount of members to which your comment is sent out in this time. Technically it is not possible to send (currently) over 2700 e-mails out in the same second without craching the server.

Secondly you have to follow STRICTLY the step by step guide provided in each email to answer to a comment (reply by e-mail).

If you ignore these instructions and/or try to write your text on a different place within your e-mail, your comment will never show up.

Dirk

Back