DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

First impressions Digilux 1

[ Hi to all,

Thanks for your interesting response.....

webspace via mobile phone ....wow.... good for telco's gprs runs at approx 44kbs so a 6mgs raw file would take while to transfer.

Sorry spelt foveon wrong, check out www.foveon.net this is the future.

Danny]

> > > Hi

Yes, you are right. That 10 megapixel Foveon CCD device seems to be the=20=

business. Thank you.

But if Leica looked at an old Pentax 110 and worked their new digital=20 in that kind of form factor I could be seriously interested.

With a small image you only need a small lens. And I remember my old=20 Pentax 110 lens was about the size of a sugar cube. Most of these CCDs=20=

are pretty much the same size as a 110 negative anyway.

I wonder about digital. With 35mm I can buy a M6 or whatever and use it=20=

for 30 years or more. When better films are invented I can use them.=20 But with a digital, any digital, (and I use a Digiflex myself), once=20 you buy it you're locked in to the technology and can never take=20 advantage of new advances.

Clearly, the future is digital. I love it. But I want some sort of=20 upgradability on offer so I can buy a camera for life like my father=20 had his IIIf...

Jon

> >

Does anyone of you dear friends know if it is an original case for the DIGILUX, I'am using a Lowepro case for it but wish to know if LEICA has something for it.

[

Hi to all,

True and I bought a M6 to avoid motor failures, autofocus, and battey reliant cameras I had in the past. However the digital darkroom has more control than the wet process. The zone system gives you ... 11 zones for b&w and photoshop (or similar) gives you a minimum of 256 for a greyscale image (colour is millions). I recently started using photoshop, to process scanned negatives from my M6, and have much more control than I ever did before.

Danny

]

Yeah, they do. B and H sell for 59.99 for it. ( Anyone have better deal, let me know.) Good to have it. But I still wonder, dose this leather case (for digilux 1) has leather straps too? Picture from Band H does not included straps. Thanks Ryan

Hi!

Could anyone here give me some advice on choosing between the Leica Digilux 1 and Sony DSC-F717. The review at Phil Askey's website (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf717/) has the F717 "high recommended"; in fact, the s&le images are very impressive, the colours and resolution blew me off - I would think that the Carl Zeiss lens did played a critical role in making the images look so crisp, and the details so visible in the darker shades. However, I do not seem to be able to find Digilux s&le images for comparison. My criteria in order of preference is: image quality (especially in natural tonality, details in dark shades, sharpness), shutter lag should be minimum (so that I can shoot my kids at a moments' notice), and lastly, the images should look great on prints. I am also looking at the Leica C3 compact P&S camera as a travelling camera for backup. Any comments and advice is much appreciated! Thanks :)-))

" Could anyone here give me some advice on choosing between the Leica Digilux 1 and Sony DSC-F717."

For the money I think the Sony is a lot more flexible. To quote Dr. McCoy, "It's like working in a damn computer factory.", however. I don't really like the viewfinder.

-Dana

Can anyone help me here. I am seriously considering buying the Digilux 1, but have been made to feel a little uneasy by comments about noise on anything above 100 ISO. Just how bad is it?

Also, I have downloaded some TIFFs and JPEGS from the Leica website and noticed that all the files are 72dpi. Do you know if this can be changed to say 300dpi?

I understand you can change the screen resolution, but I am really looking to get files for print. I need good quality at A5 & A4....please advise!

Thanks, Simon (London)

I'd assume they're 72dpi because that's what you use for screen resolution for images to be viewed on a monitor

Back