DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax NX body worthwhile Compared to Contax N1 & Contax Aria?

I have never found digital to give me the "magic" of the darkroom and I must admit that in my 50 years of doing wet darkroom development and printing, I have never ever had accidental contaminations. Setting up my chemicals and "playing" with various formulae gives me satisfaction not equaled in any other environment. Oh my God!! I was 60 last Saturday and I've been an active photographer since I was 10. I started off originally with a plate camera and used to load my double darkslides. I still have and use, my original Contax 1 that I bought when I was 14!! How time flys.
Colin

Colin,

Just goes to show, different strokes for different folks
happy.gif

I on the other hand (at the national legal limit of 55) find great discoveries hidden behind the contrast, brightness, saturation, shadow/highlight and histogram controls in Photoshop - not to mention the good ol' magic wand. And of course there's always Undo
happy.gif

Of course one look at my workstation is a give-away - two 22" monitors, two storage raid arrays, two Xeon processors ...

Cheers,

DJ

DJ,

I don't hesitate to go hi-tech when images are numerous, lighting is difficult, or results are going to the web: I have motor-driven and digital SLRs for the purpose. I also can't imagine returning to the darkroom, although developing my own (B&W) film is probably in my future. The attraction of film, mechanical shutters, and other lo-tech devices is for variety in the diet... sometimes the sight of yet another LCD is enough to make me scream.
happy.gif
:) Too many computers in my life.

And that is probably what is great about photography - the options are so numerous you can try something else when you get bored with what you've been doing.

Much like Colin I started my avocation when I was 11 - in my case it was computers - relays and switches and blinking lights back then, much like the old purely mechanical cameras.

I didn't get into photography 'til I was 22, mostly because my father who was an avid Nikon photographer made us pose everywhere we went, bless his heart, which I hated (posing, not his heart)
happy.gif
. But when I did get into it it was lock, stock & barrel. My computer fascination is now my career also, but I am able to turn it off and in fact do during vacations, other than what I need to do for digital photography, i.e. no e-mail, no internet, no work. Just thumbnails and Photoshop
happy.gif
. I guess that's sort od cheating ...

Ain't photography grand? Sorry for the off-topic.

DJ

Back