Silver or black

Discussion in 'Leica' started by macmx, Dec 19, 2007.

1. macmx

macmx Well-Known Member

I am planning on getting an M8.

I have a hard time choosing the color.
    With the silver lenses, the silver body looks gorgeous, but is less subtle and a bit more "Leica nerdy". All lenses are available in black, but only a few in silver. I have also heard that the silver lenses are a bit heavier than the black ones. Is this true?

Does the silver have any practical disadvantages?

Which color do you guys like best and why?

Thanks!

Marcus

2. faria

faria Member

I like the look of the black leica's but looks to me that the silver finishing is more resilient and the lot has a beatiful apperance even with black lenses. It makes a bit of contrast but it is nice. On the other hand I have a Summicron 50 (50 year edition) in silver matching the M6 TTL body. I like it but it shines a bit too much.Tehrefore , for me, silver body with black lenses are simply OK. Regards, Fernando

3. Jay66

Jay66 New Member

The silver has a more classic look. Practically speaking, the silver shows up fingerprints less than the black, if that's of concern to you.

4. richam

richam Member

A minor consideration. If you spend a lot of time in bright sun, a black body will get hotter than a silver one -- to the point where it's uncomfortable to touch. I usually keep a Luigi case on the camera, anyway, so it doesn't matter that much. I still like the looks of silver, and recommend you get what appeals to you.