DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

General Flash Questions for Contax G1/G2

> The TLA200 doesn't Austin; all the stops go down to 1 metre, and I > think that most people who have had problems have had them at more > than a metre's range. Chris -ftog at threeshoes.co.uk

Bob,

Some very interesting thoughts - I wonder if the problems we all seem to have from time to time with TTL flashes are down to trying to get the camera's TTL sensor(s) to do something it/they were never really designed to do. As I understand them, in non-flash mode, they measure the light intensity reflected from the closed shutter by means of varying their resistance and through a simple algorithm and taking into account another variable resistance, which one sets for film speed, calculate a range of possible aperture/exposure lengths to allow just sufficient photons to hit the exposing medium to give maximum contrast between light and dark. On flashes it all works rather backwards. The sensors have to feed the light intensity to the calculation chip over a very short period as electronic flashes have a remarkably rapid intensity rise time and a total flash duration of something around a 1/10,000 of a second. It is my understanding from various web sites I have looked at, that the exposure chip in the camera then instructs the flash TTL unit to terminate the flash period when sufficient photons have been received and does not vary the intensity even though one's eye may perceive it has. The point I am trying to make, in a rather wooly fashion, is that a sensor in flash mode has to detect intensity over time, whereas in non-flash use it just detects absolute intensity. One other thought about the TLA200 is that my recollection is that it has a very clear lens. When I look at my various flashes, where I have had better results than the TLA200, I note that they have much more diffusion built into their standard front lens and on the Hanimex and Metz 45CL-4 I just leave on the additional diffusers as they clip almost imperceptibly into place. I nearly always use those in bounce mode and thinking about the longer recycle times when I do, the flash must be being allowed to run much longer to allow sufficient photons via their indirect path, to enter the lens before the flash is shut off. Wilson

Chris,

> > The TLA200 doesn't Austin; all the stops go down to 1 metre, and I > > think that most people who have had problems have had them at more > > than a metre's range. Chris -ftog at threeshoes.co.uk

I'm not convinced that the 1M claim is correct. Yes, the rear of the flash shows 1M, but, look at the TLA-140, or ANY other TLA flash, and it clearly shows the low end changes... Even the TLA-360 moves the low end up as it flashes further out. So, I personally believe who ever "wrote" the little chart for the back of the TLA-200 made a mistake. I could be wrong, but it's aweful odd that the TLA-200 is spot on down to a certain distance...and that every other TLA flash shows larger distances for the low side of the TTL range.

Regards,

Austin

so has anyone figured out what the minimum distances roughly are? I would like to use flash on occassion in the range between 3 and 10 feet.

> so has anyone figured out what the minimum distances roughly are? I > would like to use flash on occassion in the range between 3 and 10 > feet.

I would say try f8 for 100 ISO film, and f16 for ISO 400...with a 45mm lense.

Regards,

Austin

I'm a little bit surprised that everybody refers to the Metz SCA 3802 Adapter when it comes to compatibility with the Contax-System. What about 3801, and what's the difference between the two? I saw the 3801 at ebay offered by somebody who used it for the 645. Writing to Metz they told me, that it is suitable also for the G2 and supports the following functions (excuse my staggering English, I try to translate from the German original):

- flash ready sign inside the camera

- automatic switch between different flash synchronization times

- exposure control sign at the camera

- TTL-metering

- TTL-control of fill in flash

- choice between synchronization on the 1. or 2. curtain

I hope this is of some help,
Best regards, Clemens

> I'm not convinced that the 1M claim is correct. Yes, the rear of the > flash shows 1M, but, look at the TLA-140, or ANY other TLA flash, and > it clearly shows the low end changes... Even the TLA-360 moves the low > end up as it flashes further out. So, I personally believe who ever > "wrote" the little chart for the back of the TLA-200 made a mistake. I > could be wrong, but it's aweful odd that the TLA-200 is spot on down > to a certain distance...and that every other TLA flash shows larger > distances for the low side of the TTL range. Austin

I am sure that you are right. I now do not use my TLA200 (or any flash on any camera, with one exception) on the specific lens setting or for close range. I have just bought a Metz 34CS2 for my Canon Powershot to use as a slave when photographing groups inside and I plan to use this for my G2 when necessary - until I find more about the Metz 32Z2. The exception is my T32 on my Olymp*s OM4 when using the macro lens. I get decent exposures pretty well any time with that combination. Chris - ftog at threeshoes.co.uk

I just had the chance to pick up a nice TLA 20 for my G1. Experimenting so far (I haven't gotten the slides processed yet), I see it works when I have the camera and flash set to Auto mode (I assume it's doing TTL metering??) and it also works when I put it in manual mode on lo/hi and keep the camera on auto, instead of on the sync setting. What I'm wondering is, what's happening? The low setting seems to give exactly the output I'll use most of the time for fill, but I guess my question is, is the flash really giving me ttl metering or not? If anybody has any experience with this, please let me know. Thank you.

Hi, Guys,

I have a Nikon SB-800 and want to use it with the G1, since there is something in the pictures shot by G1 that the Nikon doesn't have.

I just tried and found:
1) In TTL mode, the G1 view finder shows when the SB-800 is charged up and ready to fire. The shutter speed is purely decided by the aperture, but with warning if the speed is higher than 1/100s.
2) In A mode, there is no flash ready sign and no warning for shutter speed higher than 1/100s.

Should I use it in the TTL mode or A mode?

Thanks,

Kevin

Having just picked up a roll of film that I shot w/ my G2, I am finally convinced I have the "secret" for great flash shots when using the TLA 200 flash. If you are shooting with a 35mm lens set the flash to 28mm. If you are shooting with the 45mm lens set the flash to 35mm, etc.

This really helps reduce the "overexposure" problem inherent in all the Contax systems. And it works better than setting the flash to a negative EC setting ... simply because you don't have to worry about later accidently "underexposing" shots taken w/ the flash off.

This also works well if you use the TLA 200 on an N1 or a N Digital.

Michael.
www.outbackcoyote.com

Back