DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Coolpix 8800

> Posted by Gilbert James (Gjames52) on Saturday, December 18, 2004 -

> 11:11 pm:

>

>>> The only way to be able to shoot fast and not miss the shot is to

> get >

>

> Yesterday, I was shooting some surfers with a G2 with 4 fps, and I

> know I missed several shots, perhaps all. I have had a 5 fps camera

> for 24 years that I always shot 1 frame at a time. I know I missed

> shots.

> I am not a pro sports photographer, but I do know that it takes more

> than a camera.

Exactly - and also remember that only a tiny percentage of what a sports photographer shoots is useable. As a shooter, you have absolutely no control of what is happening on the field. You shoot anytime that a potentially significant moment approaches. If you wait until the moment happens to decided whether it will make a good picture, it is forever history and will not come back.

At last year's Superbowl, Sports Illustrated deployed 11 photographers. In all, they shot an amassed total of over 16,000 exposures to get a cover shot and the comparative handful that actually were published inside the magazine. It is entirely possible that some of the photographers personally shot over 1,500 shots and not even one of their shots was chosen for inclusion in the magazine.

What is significant is that these are the top sports shooters on the planet with the best support of equipment and opportunities for great pictures.

In these on-line forums, one reads the writings of depressed beginners who say they delete four out of five actions shots and wonder why the camera can not do a better job. Given the best cameras in the world, the SI shooters have perhaps 1,495 out of 1,500 of their shots culled by the editors. They would kill to get one keeper out of every five exposures!!!

An understanding of this goes a long way to put action photography into perspective.

larry! http://www.larry-bolch.com/ ICQ 76620504

Back