DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Digital v Film again

Gilbert, I've heard too about Kodak on the news. I know what you mean. Funny thing though, there is no similar word about Fuji, nor Agfa as far as I know. In fact, Fuji released the new Astia F emulsion, Velvia F and already had Provia F a little while now. I remember Agfa put out a new emulsion too (can't remember which!) So, I'm not sure what this means, other than Fuji and Agfa don't seem to be giving up on film. They're bettering their products in fact. Maybe Kodak isn't the benchmark of where things are going for film? I haven't shot Kodak for at least 5 years myself. I too would like the future to be film and digital, not just one or the other. -Lynn
PS: Gilbert - my Contaflex is back in the shop and I miss it!
sad.gif

One more thing -regarding where film is headed... I remember reading that Canon, Nikon and I think Minolta (or is it Pentax?) released brand new entry level FILM SLRs - not fixed len versions, but they accept the whole range of their OEM lenses. They're attractive and useful tools for that market segment. That seems to say they don't feel it's fruitless to develop film-using-products. -Lynn

Austin,

Thank you for the technical information. I did not expect you to go into detail, but what you have provided is useful to be able to compare the three streams that digital SLRs have evolved into. As far as manufacturers bumph is concerned it is often more important what they omit than what they say.

Re Kodak's recent woes: Over in the UK Fuji seem to hold the largest share of the pro' market, for slide films anyway, and as Lynn says they have been launching several new products. This may indicate that the pro' sector of the film market is still live and will be for some time yet. The report I read also indicated that only about 14% of the digital images actually taken were professionally printed. I know that Kodak is heavily involved in D&P and this may have added to their problems.

Any experiences out there with digital backs with for Contax 645 ?? I am more interested in the 6-11 meg backs and have read most of the tests on various websites regarding Kodak and Leaf, etc. However I would be interested in actual user opinions that have used thier backs for at least few months.

Back