DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax TLA20 flash.

geordiefred

I have acquired a TLA 20 flash, and want to use it on the Contax 167MT, and also Contax AX. I realise the flash was brought out for earlier models, but I am assuming that I can quite safely use it on the 2 above cameras. Is there anything I should know, or be aware of, before using it. Will the flash be almost fully compatible with the 167 and the AX, or will I only be able to use it in manual mode?

I've read through the flash sections in the AX manual, and it isn't that helpful. The recommended flash gun is the TLA 360, as that has the greatest range of functions and is the most powerful of the units. But it does also mention that all TLA units will be compatible and will set the camera to flash mode automatically. All other flash units would require the camera to be set to X on the control dial.

Nick

TLA 20 flash

Thanks for the information,Nickdando. I have got manuals for both the cameras,so will check them out. I did not get the flash manual, but found it on the internet, and that's how I learned it was brought out for the 137, etc.
Fred.

The TLA20 and 30 flash guns are entirely compatible with later cameras like the AX, Aria and even the G series. The only Contax flash that may not offer full TTL capabilities is the RTF540 in its earlier guise, though the T version (TTL) with the TLA Adapter will work in all modes with later cameras even though originally designed for the RTS and Yashica FR.

Any Contax flash unit with TLA in its name is compatible with every camera from the original RTS through the SLR range to the N and G series cameras, plus the 645. For example, you can use the G-series TLA200 on the RTSIII or AX or even 645. Mind you, they don't tell you this in the manuals...

Thanks for the information,Nickdando. I have got manuals for both the cameras,so will check them out. I did not get the flash manual, but found it on the internet, and that's how I learned it was brought out for the 137, etc.
Fred.

Thanks for the information ,I have an AX since a few weeks ago and just begin wonder about TLA 30.
Best Regards
Leif

The AX is an amazing camera, especially as it turns every lens into a macro. The TLA30 is fine and is available these days for next to nothing on ebay. The TLA280 will give you more versatility and is also another ebay cheapie - sadly the 360 and 480 units remain very expensive, with high prices being driven by Contax 645 users...

Regarding TLA360, it depends what you mean by expensive. I saw some recently go very cheap on eBay and just checked completed listings for last 2 weeks to find one went for £51.00 (only 2 bids) and one went "buy it now" for £75.00.

As a matter of interest I bought a Zeiss N 70-200mm for my N1s for a measly £90.00 almost mint on eBay and when I went to collect it I was offered a TLA360 at £50.00 mint, with slip case. Naturally I succumbed to temptation.

I don't think £50-£75 is expensive, particularly when I think of what I paid for my other TLA360s. I also have 2 TLA30s, c/w instructions and don't know what to do with them as they go for peanuts.

BTW biggles3, I concur with your thoughts on AX, (I have 2, but one is sick). I love this camera and in many ways prefer it to my N1s. Also I bought D-8 databack from you along with an AX box, Tamron 300mm f2.8, early RTS etc. Thanks, I am enjoying all of these!

Keep your eyes open and you'll get TLA360 for the right price.

Regards

Piginho

Any Contax flash unit with TLA in its name is compatible with every camera from the original RTS through the SLR range to the N and G series cameras, plus the 645. For example, you can use the G-series TLA200 on the RTSIII or AX or even 645. Mind you, they don't tell you this in the manuals...

Not entirely true I'm afraid, though it's a common misconception.

There was a change in the way the flashes communicated with the cameras introduced (I think) with the Aria.This means you may not get all functions with some camera/flash combinations. For instance, the G flashes (200 and 140) only have one extra contact and this means you don't get TTL flash if used with the older cameras like the 139, 137 etc.

Back