DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

True digital slr in the near future

I know this is not the correct place to discuss this, but how do you like the new Cannon DSLR? My local camera store is pushing hard to sell it to me with (I think) 35-70mm lens. $2000 + tax.
Meanwhile my Nikon 885 and Minolta SLR's keep chugging along.
Sam
http://samn.chiconet.com

So far pretty impressed, I had already purchased a 135-400 Sigma APO lens and I bought a second hand Sigma 28-300 with the camera. The bodies over here cost £1300, so a little less over there. I'm probaly doing to swap the 28-300 for a new canon 28-200 USM as i'm a little disappointed with the quality of the sigma (the 170-400 is great though) I was lucky enough to borrow a friends 10D with a canon lens and the quality and focusing speed were fantastic. I'm still getting to grips with the camera in a creative capacity but in full and semi auto, it really is superb. One of the biggest advantages over the compact Fuji 6800 digital I previously used is shutter response. The fuji was fast but the canon is instant. within half an hour I had more great pictures of the boys than I had ever got from the Fuji, and would have cost a fortune in film and processing with the Minolta. In actual fact I didn't take that may shots to get the good results, it was just that I knew when I had got a good 'un so I stopped !!

> [.steve evans (Tuscanboy). posted about his delight with his canon digital,whats that got to do with Minolta ??]

Don't want to get off topic here, but could any of you please check my thread on the Sigma lens dilemma for my Maxxum 9 and offer your opinions? Thanks, Brett

Michael, nothing at all other than

1) photography
2) SLR Cameras
3) Digital Photograpy
4) Thread Heading = Digital SLR
5) Courtesy of answering previous question
6) not owning shares in Minolta and having the broadmindedness to acknowledge alternatives within this field
7)having the time and effort to contribute more than 18 words to this discussion

I could could continue, but will refrain.

Mr Uksnapper, I'll consider myself banished from this forum. You can rest easy, safe from any utterance of the words Canon, Nikon, Fuj........

Goodnight!

Oh Micahel, sorry before I go

I'm also a regular contributor to the UK discussion forum for a little know English Sportscar company called TVR. I was lucky enough to own one of these prior to the arrival of the aforementioned triplets (hence the alias Tuscanboy). Like Minolta, TVR sometimes struggle to rise above the giants of Porsche and Ferrarri. But also like Minolta, no matter how much we love them, they sometimes could learn from the competition and we welcome input from these quarters - so don't simply dismiss contibutions from from contributors just because they have dared to use non-minolta equipment.

end of rant, goodbye.

> [..Tuscanboy, Dont get so upset,I too use other cameras owning just the one minolta the dimage 7Hi although I also have Minolta spotmeter, colour meter and colour temperature meters !! cameras include Nikon, Contax, Yashica, Hasselblad, Arca and Cambo,all tools for specific tasks. I meant no offence when I asked what Canon had to do with Minolta,the right answer surly, should be nothing ! Have a great weekend Michael

..]

Well, i went to a digital camera for shooting my kids sports. Every weekend I would go through 3-4 rolls of film and only get a few good action shots. Now I have a Panasonic DMC-FZ-10 with a lens equivalent to a 35-420mm f/2.8. It's a 4 meg camera with a 4 frame burst mode. It works great for this purpose. Now for all other work I will continue to use film. In fact, I am currently upgrading my lenses with some choice primes. I recently bought the 100mm f/2.8 macro D, a 35mm f/2.0, and am awaiting delivery of a used 50mm f/1.7. Digital cannot economically come close to the quality I can get out of my SLRs.

Back