DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which is the best film for contax g

I have tried to print T400CN on colour paper, the results are somewhat quite dependant to the operator's skills. Sometimes I get 'near true' BW, sometimes yellowish or blueish. The best result is when I manually print in my darkroom, although needs longer exposure time (in darkroom) compared to 'pure' BW films.

A very good afternoon to you all,

A personal finding on C41 process B&W films
using a Minilux, not exactly a "G" but an auto focus with a sharp contrasty lens none the less.

I had used T400CN for a while with good results , I then tried a couple of rolls of XP2 super. The Ilford product is good. I find it has more contrast than the Kodak (which is almost to much) but it does yield better results when printed on colour paper.

Julian

I, too, find that, as a commercial photofinisher, among chromogenic (C-41 compatible) B&W films, Ilford XP2 Super is far and away the best, especially when printing on color paper. Monochrome, but still chormogenic (RA-c compatible) paper is available, but very few labs choose to use it (including mine).

Hi guys

I dropped off some film at my laab today and asked the owner what printer he uses. I is the Noritsu 2901. He prints a lot of the C41 B&W films, so he maintains a setup for them with the same care as for color.

If you want to 'tone' the prints, he can do sepia, blue, etc.

I asked him if there was much difference in the T400CN or the Portra BW films. He says they are very similar and both scan well on his film scanner.

I have not tried the Ilford XP2 yet. Maybe next week. I am using up my vacation days from last year, so I will have plenty of time in May to test film.

Jim

HI,

Is anybody tests the very high speed film especially the Fuji neopan 1600 (or others B&W) ? In common use it seems to be a good solution to have DOF with the 90 mm.

Many thanks

Nicolas

Nicolas, I've used Ilford Delta 400 pushed to 3200 several times. Did you find anything wrong with high ISO?

Trisnadi

Trisnadi,

No I never try high speed film except kodak color 800 that I found awful , You know we have some habits. I used to use 400 iso (Tri X) and that's it. So I was just wandering if it was preferable to push a film or to use a film which is already "ready".

Thanks for your reply,

Nicolas

Nicolas,

I am not sure there is a ground rule about which one is better to push a film or to use high speed film. I prefer more to push Ilford Delta 400 to 3200 with some modified developer dilution, rather than using Ilford Delta 3200. But I would think we cannot generalise that for all films. Probably better to have experiments with several test rolls and see which one suits you best.

Trisnadi

Federico, I really enjoyed viewing the thumbnail images in your gallery. (Wish I had a membership so I could view the full-size images, but still, the thumbnails show very nice images.) I like the mood they create. Your composition is really quite good. The images make me want to see these places. Were these all done with your G1? And by the way, congratulations about Bianca, a very lovely baby. (A separate question, but since Bianca's name ends in "a" that would be a girl, yes? If so, that would denote niece for girl. If I'm wrong, and this is a little boy, then nephew as noted on the photo would be correct.) Best, Lynn

Back