DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

70 200mm versus 70 300mm

Has Contax indicated there might be a 2.8 70-200N? When and where?

When and where did they indicate it or when and where will they appear? If the former, I heard a few weeks ago in a private email from Contax. If the latter, I have no idea.

Hi Stan,

as soon as there are more specific data available, I will put it in the news folder. I try to persist to announce things to early because Contax may change its mind again and then all the talking starts in the internet. But it seems very likely that N-lenses/zooms with 2.8 aperture or bigger will come within the next 6-12 months. But these will cost also some money...

In General: It is for sure that Contax/Zeiss will enlarge their N-lens choice and their camera choice (not only N-cameras).

You can expect some nice surprises here. If you follow the threads and the structure of the Contaxinfo.com-Forum closely, you can guess already a little bit
happy.gif

Dirk

I want to add one more thing to the Simon-discussion and then I'll leave the topic. To state that price has "nothing" to do with being a pro or consumer lens is just silly. Cheap lenses are for the mass market or consumers, expensive lenses are of the "pro-quality" for the very few who really need or want it. That often comes with fast aperture, but do you consider the majority of Sigma's F2.8 lenses prolenses? Probably not, because they are not built well, flare and coating issue, etc..But guess what: they're cheap. Many pro-lenses are actually not all that good at F2.8 but they do usually have it to make the pro's life easier. It's nice that when you step out in the blazing sun your hands are steady enough at F5.6 for 300mm shots. Unfortunately, I often find myself in much lower light situations (it usually gives a prettier picture), and in that case I do need a tripod, which I can't deal with.

Does anyone have any s&le photos taken with the 70-200? I am trying to decide which lens to purchase. I like the speed and size of the 70-200.

Thanks
Marc

Hi Marc,

I have nothing scanned yet, but it is an excellent zoom. I switched from my N70-300 to the N70-200 because of size and weight.

Handholding is with the 70-200 a lot easier then with the 70-300. There is almost 400g difference.

AF is astonishing quiet. But slightly louder then the N70-300. And NO dualfocus.

Very good handling. Lens hood (GB-77) makes it almost too long for my taste. It looks almost like a gun.

Optical quality excellent, slightly better then the N70-300. AND better aperture (3.5-4.5) then the N70-300.

I do not think taht pictures on the web will help you to determine the difference between the two. On this quality level very difficult with screen solution.

I shot a roll with velvia for portraits of my girlfriend. You see the smallest whole in the skin of the face. My girlfriend does not like this lens anymore after that experience. Or use another film.

hope that helps

Dirk

I agree that the 70-300 is way too heavy. I took it hiking to the mountains a week ago (my first rolls with my new NX) and it was, quite literally, a pain in the neck.

According to Contax in NJ the GB-77 hood for the 70 - 200N lens is not available in the USA. Does anyone know where I can get it?

You might try FotoHobby in Frankfurt. I bought my 28 PC from them and they were reliable. I think they have been in business for a very long time. Mostly Leica.

Back