DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Nikkor 1870 on D70 with Extension Tube

dc_dweller

Hi everyone,

For macro photography, I purchased a 12mm extension tube for my D70. The latter came with a standard G-type 18-70 Nikkor lens.

Once the lens was mounted on top of the extension, I could no longer control aperture. Is it normal? I do want to be able to change apterture to control depth of field. Do I need a different lens? Am I limited to those equipped with an apterture ring?

Thanks in advance.

it seems the tube is not transfering lens to body communication. only option is to use manual mode (M) to set aperture/time with both dials.

what brand/model of tube is it? I was thinking about Kenko and I am still hoping it will be working wth auto modes...

The brand is actually Nikon, and indeed it has no wiring to transfer the commands to the lens, and since the lens has no manual aperture ring, I can't set the aperture.

It looks like Kenko tubes do have the necessary wiring, so I am going back to B&H today and will try to exchange the merchandize

Back