DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

R9 built in Germany or not Anyone know

barney

Just wondering since I read in a photography newsgroup that they were not. I'm not sure if the guy was kidding. Even if not, I would think that the build quality would still be high.

Any comments?

Just following up with my question. Last Saturday I was visiting with my Leica dealer and right on the back of the R9 said "Made in Germany". One thing I learned is that one cannot always beleive what is read from the internet.

Barney,

History of Leica also suggest that "made In germany" is no guarantee, but I believe the R9 is assembled at Solms. The parts for it are manufactured all over the place. From Japan to Portugal.

It matter not, really where it was made: A Leica is a Leica. Remember, some of the very best lenses of the Leitz line came out of Canada when Walther Mandler moved to Canada as their lens designer. The f3.4/ 180mm Apo-Telyt R was/is an exeptional lens that reads "Made in Canada"
This lens was only surpassed when the 100mm f2.8 Macro-Elmarit was designed.
The country of origin only seems to have snob appeal and lenses made in Germany seem to fetch higher prices on the used market. They are not necessarily better. My Canadian M4 is as good as any made in Wetzlar
Colin

Leica´s M7, MP and R9 are made in the Leitz plant at Vila Nova de Famalicão, Portugal. This facility exists since the mid seventies. They make the body of the cameras, binoculars and to a lesser extent the famous Leitz microscopes( slow demand). As far as cameras are concerned they perform a full range of tests and they ship the bodies without the top plate assembled. This is done in Solms together with a repetition of the camera tests. They are able then to engrave the Made in Germany, which obviously sells well. This is current policy. For older models that was no the case. I have for ex&le an R4 which has an engraving of "Made by Leitz Portugal".
FYI I had the previlege of visitng the Leitz plant last Feb 6 together with a group of Portuguese Leica fans.
Cheers to all,

Fernando Faria

will leica ever move its plant to far east, or to japan at least, to cut down costs further?
I am using Hexar, which sells for half the price of M7, and it is impressive, to say the least, its motor vibrates a lot LESS THAN leica M motor, which in turn is half the price of Hexar RF. Hexar has titanium top and bottom, weights about 560g.

I can't see Leica ever moving plant wholesale elsewhere, they have a more economic location in Portugal than Japan. If you buy Nikon it can read 'Made in Phillipines' or even China, Leica would never want that. The Hexar is impressive in terms of what you get for your money but when I tried it the finder was murky, the rubber felt sticky, it left me cold and I didn't want to make photographs. A camera is much more than the contents of its technical specification, in a Leica there is a legend, a myth, yes - but also a really ergonomic camera that feels good and insprational. If you like your Hexar - great. I like my Leica. Not everything has to be cheap(er) in life.
Jem

the hexar finder is not "murky", it is on the cool side, it is probably made by the same factory that makes finder for Contax T3 (and no one says T3's finder is murky, T3's finder is certainly much better than Leica CM). the hexar rubber is the same as those used on all modern canon/nikon/leica R, if you want better feel, get an Hermes MP. Expensive thing does not mean necessarily better, for Leica, the price is high mainly due to marketing reason. It does not reflect its real value, the lack of competition only drive up the price even more. You sense this distrust of Leica user of all third party M body and M lens. If you paid twice or thrice the price on Leicas, naturally you defend your investment to death, sometimes without any reasons. You are dealing here with human nature, not camera anymore.

Mr Pelikan,
You don't know me and I don't know you, but I am certainly no slave to buying Leica at any price, I have been advocating non-Leitz/Leica but Leica-fit gear for years - when it merits. You are right, more expensive does not mean better.
The 'murky' finder of the Hexar is less clear than the Leica or the Cosina / Voigtlander range, in fact the C/V gear may almost be brighter than the M range now. I would much rather have a C/V camera to use than the Hexar, it made me want to make pictures. Photography is an emotional experience (for many) if you can't feel inspired by your camera then it is lacking something.
I have no desire for a Hermes edition, I like my cameras worn and beat up thank you. But I did find the rubber sticky and the finder was dull compared to other rangefinder cameras.
Jem

Back