DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Who is the first with the K10D

Hi Sean

thank you for your feedback. Only a few days left and I will have a K10d too...

Currently I am using a Nikon D80 (after many other SLRs and DSLRs), so I am curious how it will be different in long term usage. It is always different when you have one in your hand in a store for a few minutes or use it in real life situations side by side long term...

In my view the Pentax K10d is one of the most interesting camera on the market right now. Even compared to the Nikon D200 and Canon 30D.

Pentax did obviously not expect such a huge demand for this camera. Long waiting lists at each dealer.

Kind of exciting
happy.gif

Dirk:

You should have your K10D by now, so I'm wondering how you compare it to your Nikon???

Tks!

Connie

> Connie

I have gone from a D200 to a K10d. I was able to do some parallel tests before putting the Nikon away. The images shot with the K10 are equal to or surpass the Nikon with kit lens, in every way. The is almost a texture to them, like film. I am not talking noise, it's more intangible than that. very nice. I haven't gotten totally comfortable with the metering yet, it responds differently than the Nikon. And it's so much smaller all the way around. The K10 is a keeper. In addition, I have had some dealing with customer service - In my opinion they blow Nikon's customer service out of the water! They have been truly responsive and VERY nice. I am extremely satisfied with the switch.

Al

Hi Connie,
Absolutely LOVE IT! First thing I did was go to eBay and purchased some nice glass that is about 10-15 years old. I got a 50mm, 25mm and a fish-eye. They work perfectly with the k10D! IF they were originally auto exposure or auto focus it will take if not manual mode works too. The camera is so easy to use, the programming was really thought out which is more than I can say for the Canon and Nikon. Its very user friendly. I usually have it set high quality JPEG, but if I want the next picture to be RAW, its just a button near the thumb. On a Nikon, you need to go into the programming - what?? Not thought out.

The pictures are sharp and the colors are brilliant.

Nikon makes amazing cameras and glass, but in order to get the standard that Pentax has at K10D, you need to spend MUCH more with Nikon. I compare most of the features with k10D with the Nikon D200 ($1000 more).

Also the feeling of the K10D is much nicer and feels better built. The Nikons under D200 all feel like cheap plastic. Also the Pentax is weather sealed which is a god send in the rain. The Nikon doesn't have that until the d200 +.

Either way you go - I'm sure you will be happy, but for the money - you get many much more BANG for the buck with Pentax K10D.

Hope this helps,

Erick

Got mine in December 2006 and is now 7500 photos later very happy with it. Got me the F50 f1.7 (also have the A version) and F135 f 2.8 lenses to add to the 18-55 kit lens and my Sigma 17-500.

Dirk:

You should have your K10D by now, so I'm wondering how you compare it to your Nikon???

Tks!

Connie

Hi Connie,

sorry, I missed this question...

I like the K10D a lot. It is different to my Nikons. For me there is no clear winner one against the other. The Pentax has some features I miss on my Nikons and vice versa.

For me the biggest difference is, that if I want to use Zeiss lenses for Pentax mount, I can use them with all program modes. With Nikon that is not possible.

But it is also a question of price. Pentax is not as expensive than Nikon. For Nikon you always have to pay a premium. If you compare the results, then there is not a big difference in image quality. It is more a different weighting and of course a question which lenses and which Raw-development Software you are using. Adobe is not always the best choice.

Now with the D300 of Nikon, a new round started end of last year. Pentax has to show, whether the can compete with the K20D.

Very interesting times... and 2008 is a Photokina year :)

Back