DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Lens contrast color fidelity and resolution

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in image quality between the G lenses and the manula focus MM lenses for Contax SLR's.

I am undecided as to which system to go for (each has its merits) and my decision might come down to lens performance.

Thanks for any help you can offer

Steve

Steve,

If you're familiar with the Zeiss "look" you'll get that with either lens family. IMHO, if you don't require the flexibility of an SLR (DOF preview, long tele., macro, etc.) and the much greater array of lenses and accessories, then the G is the way to go. The G lenses are *sharp*, small, lightweight, relatively inexpensive and really deliver dazzling images. Plus, the G2 is a great camera to own and use.

In M lenses I have the 25/2.8, 50/1.4 and 85 1.4. Each is a very capable optic, and the two 1.4s have a full stop's advantage over any G lens. I also have a G2 and all the G lenses. My G use is at least ten times my SLR use.

Bottom line: you won't be disappointed with the results from either line. Carefully examine your needs (and budget), then choose which system best fills them.

--Rick

Thanks Rick. I am swaying towards the G, mainly due to its size. Your comments have been helpful.

Steve

Could anyone tell me where the best (cheapest but most honest) places online (in the USA) are to buy a new G 45mm lens? I just got one 2nd hand on eBay but it wouldn't focus. I was lucky to be able to return it and get my money back. I know Delta has it for $234, but it is a gray market lens. What is the risk in buying this type of lens new without US warranty? Thanks

Gene,

"Questions about the quality of G lenses and all other lenses can be quickly determined by visiting www.photodo.com"

This is actually not true 100%. You will find on photodo some MTF Charts which they measured themselves. But the weighting and criteria selection for these measuerments are different to the official Zeiss MTF charts. It is therefore mandatory to read carefully the explanation on the photodo charts to know why which lens has which rating. You can NOT compare the photodo-numbers with the official Zeiss MTF graphs.

You will not find anything about colour reproduction at photodo, nor at the Zeiss homepage. That is something you can not see in MTF Charts. They indicate you only sharpness and contrast. On the Zeiss publication which you also find on this site in the scan section you will also find graphs for vignetting and distortion additionally. But be careful with the interpretation of these graphs.

Dirk

I just purchased my G2 w/45 & 90 two weeks ago. I shot my first roll (Kodak Gold 200) just to test out the camera. WOW.

In my 50+ years in photography I have owned Leica, Nikon, Canon, Hasselblad, Olympus and others - also used many other brands (I workd in a camera store for 15 years). The G2/Zeiss lenses system is the best I have ever used.

The 90 is so sharp I will have to get a soft filter for portraits. The 200 strobe is great. A lot of light from a small unit.

I like the way the camera feels - the controls are easy to use. I find no problems with the viewfinder. I don't think I could handle the Leica M's anymore due to my arthritis.

Anyway, I am very pleased with the G2 and reccommend it.

Jim

"I purchased the G1 35mm combo - I was looking to add my next lens to the system. I take mostly landscape and some street action during my travels. I keep hearing about the 45mm having such great qualities (best CZ lens for G). But a 28mm or 90mm would probably give me a greater use value. Is the 90mm on the G1 subpar (focus etc?) Any recommendations would be appreciated."

> Get the Biogon 2.8/28. I recently gave in and bought one to use on my G1 in place of the Planar 2/35 and 2/45. Used it during a recent trip to Venice. I thought it would be too wide to use as a day to day lens. Wrong. The results were superb. The lack of typical wide angle distortion > made even close up portraits excellent and it exceeded the Planars when used for landscapes. Highly recommended!

>

Back